Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
seanbarman said:
i loved the the fact that mediaportal 120 had epg grabber that did not
require internet and use tv cards,why was this feature removed ,and is there
a plugin to put it back ,i'm not a fan of xmltv as channel numbers dont
tie up with guide
Just watch TV, EPG comes in automatically. The grabber is being started in the background every time you zap to another channel. Wait some minutes and you can see in the log file, that EPG data comes in for the current provider group you're watching. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Oh.. So I don't actually have to configure XMLTV?

Does it do all this auomatically?

James

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
f0rmula said:
Oh.. So I don't actually have to configure XMLTV?

Does it do all this auomatically?

James
If you own a DVB TV card, yes. For analog cards, you still need an external EPG grabber for now.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Callifo said:
What if you are using xmltv for dvb cards? Does it ignore the dvb epg then because it already has an epg?
Simple as that: If the entry already exists, it's not added by the dvb epg grabber. No matter if the entry is from dvb or from xmltv or from webepg or whatever. :wink:

sciutand

Portal Member
February 4, 2005
Regarding the automatic grabber, I live in th UK and get poor results.

BBC channels gets very sporadic data if any. UK TV channels nothing at all, Music Channels nothing at all. Channel five nothing at all. really the only ones that are almost reliable are the ITV channels.
Is anyone experiencing this as weel?

regards
AS

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    well lets explain something here:

1. epg is grabbed only when you watch TV
    Now support you watch BBC1
    then you will get the epg of BBC1 offcourse
    however within the same transport stream some other channels are
    transmitted. lets say BBC World and BBC Prime
    you then also get the EPG for those channels.

However you wont get the epg for channels which are not within the
    current transport stream (lets say MTV).
    Reason for this is that they are not transmitted within the transport stream of BBC 1
    If you want the epg for those channels, then you'll need to tune
    to for example MTV.

so in short:
    2. MP will grab EPG for all tv channels in the current transport stream
    3. a transport stream only contains EPG for a few tv channels
    4. to get epg for other channels you need to tune to those channels

Not much we can do about this, since if we wanna grab the
    epg for all channels this would that MP has to zap through all channels

Frodo

javers

Portal Member
    June 23, 2005
    UK
    Say frodo, if you have multiple tuners and some are free, can they be used to zap through all the multiplexes and grab all the epg's in the background?

Jon

sciutand

Portal Member
    February 4, 2005
    Hi Frodo,

Thanks for your reply (not sure if it was intended for me). I understand what you are saying, my problem is that tuning and whatching those channels doesn't populate the EPG data. I understand that those channels might not be trasmitting epg data. The fact is though that I tested Showshifter that uses same principle of grabbing epg data from TS. That app yields better results and get epg data for the channels I mentioned. So my quetion to the users was if it's a problem related to my set up (DVB-t card type for example) or everyone encounter the same issue, which would mean that somwhere something is going wrong with the Grabber.

AS

Users who are viewing this thread