Live TV Stutter since Win 10 upgrade (3 Viewers)

Groovemaize

Portal Pro
November 14, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Since upgrading my TV Server and Client to Win 10 I've started to get bad Live TV Stuttering after 10 mins playback, logs attached, any help grateful.

Kind Regards

Guy

Groovemaize

Portal Pro
November 14, 2013
Home Country
Additional notes:

I have had a x4 client and x1 server running stable and well on win 8.1 for the last 2 or so years. All clients are the same Zotac Zbox builds where the othere 3 are streaming live tv without a problem which makes it even more frustrating! I would be very grateful for any ideas or suggestions, thanks.

Kind Regards

Guy

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Guy

Is the 10 minutes approximate or exact?
    I ask because from the point at which the stuttering you've referred to starts isn't exactly clear cut in the log files.

Start of viewing is clear:
    [2016-03-28 12:35:21,818] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - TVHome.ViewChannelAndCheck(): View channel=ITV2 +1

However, even only a few minutes afterwards TsReader starts having to pause regularly to match the decoding speed with the speed that the stream is being delivered by the server (and ultimately, by the broadcaster):
    [2016-03-28 12:37:48,435] [ 5140048] [ adc] - vidPin : Video to render late= -0.305
    [2016-03-28 12:37:48,850] [ 5140048] [ 2fc] - Pause 511 mS renderer clock to match provider/RTSP clock, A/V = 0/38

That's happening every 3 seconds or so (approximately) from then on. Visually I'd expect you'd see this as a "micro-pause" or "micro-stutter". What I don't know is whether this is the stuttering you're referring to. If it is, I'm sorry to say that I don't think there's much we can do about it. In technical terms, my understanding is that this kind of stutter is caused by your system's clock running slightly faster than the broadcaster's system's clock. As a consequence, your system is constantly going to be running out of video/audio data to play/show. The pauses (stutters) are MP waiting for more data to be broadcast.

If I've misunderstood, please help me by being more specific about the timing of the issue.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Additional notes:

I have had a x4 client and x1 server running stable and well on win 8.1 for the last 2 or so years. All clients are the same Zotac Zbox builds where the othere 3 are streaming live tv without a problem which makes it even more frustrating! I would be very grateful for any ideas or suggestions, thanks.

Kind Regards

Guy

So are you saying that 3 of the clients are on Win 8.1 and they are running OK, but the Win 10 client is stuttering ?

Groovemaize

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2013
    Home Country
    Hi, thanks for responding, all clients are on Win 10. The 3 mins is really not totally accurate, it was after a few times I noticed but has been up to about 10 mins. The stutter quickly becomes almost still images until eventually freezes. If I rewind and play back through the stutter it plays back fine. I'm confused as this never happened on win 8.1 and I hadnt changed any config and also the other clients are stable. More confused! I have tried changing the time shift folder and audio renderer with no effect other than the time to start stuttering...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Have you tried updating MediaPortal to the latest version? (1.9 is relatively old now.)
    Also, is your installation 100% standard MP; not a custom version, and no personal customisations?

[edit:
    If I rewind and play back through the stutter it plays back fine
    That's standard/expected behaviour for the situation I described.
    You could think of what's happening as being similar to attempting to play a high quality Internet video with a slow Internet connection. When the buffer runs out, playback has to pause for awhile ("buffering") in order to wait for more of the video to be downloaded. Once you've watched a certain part, you can go back and replay it without trouble because it's already downloaded.]

Last edited:

Groovemaize

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2013
    Home Country
    I havent yet upgraded beyond 1.9 as having a house full I need to keep a stable system where until now 1.9 was good. I'm still confused mm, why have I not seen this before now as the OS upgrade has not changed the signal being recieved and why would the other clients be able to handle the same stream just fine. I tested with 2 then 3 other clients watching the same channel and only this client has problems!
    Can you see if any other processes start at the same time or shortly before the stuttering starts ie a win 10 process that win 8 doesnt have?

Kind Regards

Guy

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I havent yet upgraded beyond 1.9 as having a house full I need to keep a stabke system where until now 1.9 was good.
    Hmmm, I'm a bit confused about the fact that you would be willing to update Windows - a much bigger change, with so much more potential for things to go wrong - but you're unwilling to update MediaPortal. :confused:
    I'd recommend you consider updating MediaPortal as there have been changes in TsReader that may help alleviate the effects of this problem.

...and what about the customisation question? Is your install standard 1.9?

I'm still confused mm, why have I not seen this before now as the OS upgrade has not changed the signal being recieved and why would the other clients be able to handle the same stream just fine.
    If I knew the answers to these questions then I'd have given them to you already. ;) :)

Seriously, I can only speculate due to lack of detail about the specifications of each of your clients. Any differences in hardware, software, power configuration, drivers... many things... could be a potential cause.

Can you see if any other processes start at the same time or shortly before the stuttering starts ie a win 19 process tgat win 8 doesnt have?
    No, this is not something I can do. The log files don't contain that level of detail about other processes. However, you can investigate this yourself using Windows task manager.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Since you say all the clients are the same hardware, if you swap the 'problem' client system for another one, does the problem move with the hardware or not i.e. is it the client itself or how/where it's connected to the network ?

Groovemaize

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2013
    Home Country
    Sorry if my questions are a bit hap hazard, just frustrated and you're right I probably should have stayed at 8! All clients are identical builds for hardware and software, including drivers. Mepo is just the standard install, I havent tried swapping clients. Iwill try that this evening, I'll then upgrade to latest if that fails and report back... Thanks for the patience, I do apreciate it.

Kind Regards

Guy

Users who are viewing this thread