[Configuration] Provide selection of VC-1 decoder (1 Viewer)

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Currently only H264 & MPEG decoders can be selected in Configuration.
    I propose to provide the similar choice for VC-1 decoder

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    You know that even those H.264 / MPEG2 codec selections aren't explicit? For example if you load two codecs that both support MPEG2 and H.264 MP is not 100% sure to be using those ones you have selected. The filter merits will step into play in that case (as you have two codecs in the graph that are connected by the DirectShow automation).

Maybe in MPII we will have fully user configurable codecs...

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Let me imagine how does it work.
    There are splitters & decoders registered in Windows with their merits.
    When GraphEdit attempts to open some media it enumerates all the appropriate splitters and finds the splitter with maximum merit. If there are several appropriate splitters with equal merit - GraphEdit uses any of them.
    Similarly - for decoders.

In case of Media Player Classic Homecinema, two algorithms work:
    1. First the player attempts to use explicitly defined decoders (in the "Options" dialogue window).
    2. If no appropriate decoders are found, the player chooses some decoder basing on merits like described above.

And finally I cannot understand how this approach is implemented in MP.
    From one side, there are explicitly defined decoders for H264 & MPEG, for instance.
    At what time merits are used?

Sorry for possible grammar mistakes :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    In MediaPortal the graph building works in following way:

1) MediaPortal loads all configured codecs (that user has selected in player settings) into the diretcshow graph
    2) MediaPortal asks the directshow to render the output pins of the souce filter

At that point the control is completely on directshow side. Basicy that means that the codec selection is not 100% explicit. For example if the graph has multiple codecs that are able to decode MPEG2 stream it is up to directshow to decide what codec will be connected. Directshow will always prefer the loaded codecs and if none of those are capable of handling the stuff then the non-loaded codecs are checked next. In short following rules are used when connecting the filters (by directshow):

1. loaded filters are tried to connect by their merits
    2. if there are still undendered pins all available directshow filters are tried to connect (order is again based on the merit values)

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply!!!
    So, looking forward for the more powerful implementation...

Users who are viewing this thread