raspberry pi (2 Viewers)

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    I have tested Raspbmc, Xbian, Openelec builds with PVR for live tv nd all worked great with connection to MP TV server.

Olli123

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2012
    Yes the connection is working but not the playback. All other features are fine, thats true. The connection is also not a problem.
    Without detailed information as asked for in my previous post, i´m not able to do the same setup on my system.

Maybe you have found already a work around for that bug.

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm using raspbmc final with mp tv server 1.3rc on a win7 64bit machine. I've got the tv server plugin running and the rest comes with raspbmc.
    Don't know about omxplayer to be honest. I've got both licenses (vc1 & mpeg) but that's only important for sd channels, hd channels are just
    fine out of the box. And I am using ts reader as it's the default option anyway.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have the same problem with OpenElec restarting XBMC whenever I try to play Live TV. Recorded TV works fine. I had LiveTV working on Raspbmc though, although that had problems with rebooting when I tried to stream online video from 4oD or ITV player. I'm using the Mediaportal PVR client addon.

earthtorob

January 27, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hey....Noob here. Well, new to MP2 anyway.

I was under the impression that MP2 was a UPNP DLNA media server that would work with lots of different devices. Am I wrong?

I have to admit I'm having a really hard time with the software. It looks great. It includes everything you would want to do with your media. But it seems so modular. Plugins for everything, even a plugin to handle the plugins. And it seems to only work with other MP2 devices.

Currently....I just migrated from a simple file server with several XBMC/KODI clients to an EBMY server with plugins for the KODI clients. I like the single database. But I wanted to add live tv. So I built a MythTv box and use the PVR in KODI. I want a single server though and EMBY doesn't support MythTv. It does support Next and TvHead and a few others but only on separate machines.

MP2 seems to do it all on one machine. But can I get it to serve to my RPI's and Android devices?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Am I wrong?
    Yes and no. Right now the DLNA Server plugin is not ready (so yes for today), but under heavy development (so no for tomorrow).
    But it seems so modular. Plugins for everything,
    Indeed it was designed this way to make it more easy to extend. As Example the DLNA Server. This is a Plugin for the MP2 Server. If MP2 wasn't that modular this most likely has to be a stand alone app. But most (if not all) needed plugins are delivered with the main installation this is not an issue at all.

But can I get it to serve to my RPI's and Android devices?
    You can use the TV part of MP2 together with Kodi if you install the TVServerKodi plugin (to be found on the Kodi website)., The regular Media Library is not now usable. For this you need to wait for the DLNA plugin to be ready...

earthtorob

January 27, 2016
    Home Country
    The DLNA thing for me has been kind of disappointing. For over a decade I have been using XBMC and I'm spoiled by the ease of use and the beautiful interface with tons of metadata. Along with the extra plugins to customize.

Every DLNA solution I have tried have been limited on delivering the Metadata. Like movie descriptions and artwork. They just aren't as good as XBMC. Will MP2 overcome the limitations of the other systems?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    by the ease of use and the beautiful interface
    here are taste can be different. For me XBMC/Kodi never was beautiful or easy to use, I really never liked it too much. I've used it on some devices and still using it on my Raspberry Pi, but only because I can't use MP2 there...

Will MP2 overcome the limitations of the other systems?
    Can't tell this exactly, especially as I don't know your personal taste. But it will bring at least LiveTV via DLNA that afaik no other solution does.

Personally I like the DLNA way because different devices with different OS can use different software for different purposes but with the same media library and all is working hand in hand... If I want to hear music I play it directly on my AVR (over Ethernet), that is stored on a self made mini- NAS based on a Banana Pi running Open Media Vault and controlled from my Android tablet with BubbleUPnP... For this the embedded cover is enough "bling". As opposite, if I want to watch a blockbuster on the big screen (ok, isn't that big, only 42") I definitely prefer it the MP2 way with lots of "bling":
    Zwischenablage-2.jpg

So different software for different purposes is completely fine for me. But I definitely would prefer to have all media centralized and served from a single program. And this has to be MP2 for sure and I'm happy it will be in future..

earthtorob

January 27, 2016
    Home Country
    yeah, that looks nice. XBMC is skinable so the interface is basically what you want it to be. Personally I like all the info right on the screen. Even down to the codec and resolution. And being able to click the actors and see what other movies that have done is also nice.

I suppose I could go DLNA all the way (I'll miss KODI) if the interface looks nice like that one. But I need a client to play on. And all I have now are raspberries. Maybe the good people at OpenELEC will build a distro for MP2.

I'd really like to switch completely over to a server/client system. But it's hard to match a good XBMC system. I'm excited to see MP2 develop though. I just wish the wiki pages weren't so broken up. MP2 is modular for sure.....even the Wiki is modular.

Users who are viewing this thread