[confirm] Search method not working? Ideas for improvements... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hmm. I usually filter on MovPics from ALL view which yes does filter on 1700 entires. I will try get some estimation of differences. I mean you'd expect it to be at least as fast as MP1 right? It must be '*' and can not be back?

Do you filter ALL view on each key press? or do you filter each filtered list with each key press? i.e. so as the list is filtered the number of records to be filtered next key press is smaller?[DOUBLEPOST=1462379753][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW after using the test installer, Online Videos disappeared?

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The implementation currently does:
    1. On first use, take a copy of full items list
    2. Apply filter on full list (the copied one of 1. ), keep only matching entries
    3. Every futher keypress does same thing as 2.
    A possible improvement would be of course to filter always only the results of the last search, so the amount of hits will get smaller on each press.

I mean you'd expect it to be at least as fast as MP1 right?
    I have no comparision, sorry.

It must be '*' and can not be back?
    For resetting filter you need the "*" key, yes. Back is everywhere in MP2 bound to "navigate back" (in terms of screens). I think it should stay consistent.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Sure I understand. But to get users on board and want to move from an established MP1 installation, they must see improvement or at the very least equivalence. Step backwards isn't going to work well, but I do understand this is not expected to be 'production ready' software and still under development etc. so it is not meant as a criticism - I want to be able to move to MP2 myself.

It might even be a visual thing with loading of fanart giving the appearance it is suddenly reacting to something. I will try to get a feel for what it is that is bugging me.

For info, * successfully resets my filter OK. I prefer back, but that is likely because what I am used to I suspect. Will see if it grows on me.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hmm. All you press is the number. Say you want to filter for all movie with the word 'Alien' contained then press these numbers once (i.e. for the letter 'I' press 4 once do not press 4 three times insuccession) like this:

2 5 4 3 6
    A L I E N

Not:

2 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 6 6

Like you might be used to. Enter like you are typing using original Nokia phone predictive text. You should see as you press each number the list filter down each time. So this should filter to everything where the word 'Alien' AND any combination of the letters assigned to those number keys (but they must be in the order you typed):

2 5 4 3 6
    A J G D M
    B K H E N
    C L I F O

So effectively a lot of search terms because of all the permutations. Most do not but it only cost you 5 finger presses.

It works for me out the box, strange.

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Indeed it did not filter at all. It only moves the focus to the first entry starting with the pressed char.

When I press 2 on the remote it jumps to entries starting with "2". If I Press 2 and after that 5 it jumps to entries starting with "5", nothing else. First I did not notice that as there are not too much entries with pure numbers as first char. If I use the keyboard and enter "A" it jumps to the first entry starting with letter "A". If I type "AL" on the keyboard it jumps to the first entry starting with letter "L" and at "ALIEN" it jumps to the first entry with "N"...

In General the SMS style is working. I can see it when I'm in an input field like the regular search box...

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    May be it depends on if your remote sends the numpad number keys or the number keys above the letter keys?
    If you hold shift on your Keyboard while you press a number key on remote in Notepad you should be able to see it.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It sends the number keys above the letter keys.
    If I press shift and 2 on my remote I got " if I press the same on keyboard I get " and on the number pad I got nothing.

It is the original Microsoft MCE receiver (no clone), the "Godfather" of all RC6 receivers and it is not damaged or broken. And I also never had Kodi/XBMC installed on this system (as Kodi needs some ugly registry hacks to work with a MCE receiver)...

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Mine is original mce receiver too, but I do use a logitech harmony remote mapped to a combination of things. I'll try it with the original remote tonight. But swapping to SMS style seemed to change me to the filtering OK, although I was curious why that worked at the time.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I press 2 on the remote it jumps to entries starting with "2".
    Are you using your own Theme? I had to modify the "MediaItemsList.inc", and this in 6(!) copies of this file. I repeat: copying so many files from base skin is a bad approach!
    If you have your own copy in theme, you need to apply same mod (see here)

It must be '*' and can not be back?
    I also have added "escape" now as action to clear the filter. It is only used if there is a filter active, so navigation is still working as before in other cases. (internally it only sends "*" as well)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread