Status
Not open for further replies.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    What are the graphic-card requirements for EVR @ Vista? DX10? Any other HW- req.? (SSE-instructions or so).

ATM I have a GeForece 6200 and a P-M 1.7 Ghz (see "my system" for details) - would moving to Vista be a good or bad idea?

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    these days there are only two real advantages left for using EVR+vista:
    *) better overall picture quality, which you would most likely get on your system.
    *) no tearing because of Vista's AERO - which has its own requirements, and i think you need a DX9 capable graphics card at least. not sure if yours is enough, you would have to consult google for that.

the other advantage has vanished: acceleration of H.264 content on newer graphics cards (Geforce 84xx-86xx and ati hd2400 - hd2600), which is also possible on XP since a few months.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    All nVidia 5X00, 6X00 and so on are DX9. For ATi all 9x00 series and beyond are DX9 - EXCEPT 9000, 9100, 9200, 9250-series (9500 and above are OK).

Integrated gfx: nVidia 61x0, 7xx0 - ATi X300, 960 (not sure about X200 - but I believe this also is DX9=

Franky

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2005
    ITALY
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    The best advantage I find using Vista + MP + EVR with the hardware in signature is the completely smooth of PremiereHD and discoveryHD (perfect at 1080p). Absolutely any stutter, with Cyberlink h.264 decoder in XP not the same: a slight stutter sometime.

But from the other side I don't understand why I get a sort of judder using Cyberlink Mpeg2 + Vista + EVR, not obtained with VMR9. Everithing ok with EVR+vista MS Mpeg2 decoder: no judder. But Cyberlink with VMR9 seems better. I use cyberlink Mpeg-2 CLVSD.AX ver 6.0.0.3722 of febrary 2007.

Now i want try Mpeg-2 CLVSD.AX 8.0.0.1828 contained in last Cyberlink update!

spuck

Community Skin Designer
    April 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Every panning scene stutters for me. :D
    Scrolling text stutters a lot too. :p

Sven

Portal Member
    January 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    can you use the attached version and try to reproduce the problem? this version generates rather excessive debug output about frame timings and stuff like that. maybe i can learn something more about your problem this way. be aware that the vmr9.log may get large though.

This version causes stuttering (almost) right from the start of MyTV and uses one of my cpu cores at 100% all the time and the second core is also used heavily (total cpu usage in taskmanager: 80 - 100%). So I only ran MP (which was very unresponsive due to the high cpu load) for about one minute. The log file is attached. Please tell me if you need a log file of a longer MP run.
    I'm afraid this log won't help you to find the bug due to the different behaviour, will it?
    Did you only change the logging in this version or is there something else which could cause the high cpu load?

Thanks,
    Sven

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    nope, i just turned the loglevel way up. this is the cause of your stuttering. i have change the logging to run in its own thread, so it will not cause stuttering anymore - but it will still generate huge logfiles. what do you think how long you have to run a test to reproduce the situation? atm logfile grows about 3-5 MB per minute, so if you need more than an hour, it will become difficult to open the beast and cut out the last few hundred interesting lines. i will see if i can cut down size a bit more and then upload a new version.

edit: uploaded a version with extensive logging, but without additional stutter :)

Franky

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2005
    ITALY
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    with Mpeg-2 CLVSD.AX 8.0.0.1828 contained in last Cyberlink update, EVR + SD(MPEG-2) now OK :)
    I don't know if better in EVR or VMR9 but now the fluidity is perfect in EVR too.
    Cheers

Sven

Portal Member
    January 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    nope, i just turned the loglevel way up. this is the cause of your stuttering. i have change the logging to run in its own thread, so it will not cause stuttering anymore - but it will still generate huge logfiles. what do you think how long you have to run a test to reproduce the situation? atm logfile grows about 3-5 MB per minute, so if you need more than an hour, it will become difficult to open the beast and cut out the last few hundred interesting lines. i will see if i can cut down size a bit more and then upload a new version.

edit: uploaded a version with extensive logging, but without additional stutter :)

Thanks, stuttering is now (almost) gone with the new logger thread.

I ran MP for about two hours - no stuttering+crash so far (as I said, it happens from time to time, and if you want to reproduce it, it, of course, does not happen...). So I'll continue testing.

By the way: the size of vmr9.log is about 50MB with MP running for more than two hours. Do I have to change any option to enable your extensive logging or have you already managed to reduce the log file size?

Sven

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    i did reduce size a bit, but 50MB sounds a little short. can you open it in an editor and see if the logging is still running, i.e. if the last line starts with the current time?

the lines should mostly say something about "Notifying scheduler/worker", "Returning sample", "Next schedule time" and stuff like that. if lines like these are in, the logger should run in extensive mode. but from the size of the file it looks like that is the case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread