Vista and EVR support (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

un-dee

May 19, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
I encountered the same problems with .ts files and EVR - MP will just crash.
Apart from that I have the following issue: Seeking with EVR takes ages (some milliseconds with VMR9) and, which is even worse, when I try seeking while watching a DVD it will set Mediaportal to not responding. I am using EVR on XP and I really hope there is a way to fix those matters, because apart from that its the only renderer that works properly (and lets my play 1080p with postprocessing)

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Is there any way to ensure MediaPortal has always focus with Vista and EVR? With exclusive mode it does this automatically. On Vista with EVR I lose focus sometimes, guessing it happens at least when graph rebuilds on codec change (SD/HD) and when MediaPortal is turned on. Can EVR and DX exclusive mode coexist anyway?

On XP I could force other probrams stealing focus with TweakXP but it generated other problems when MediaPortal popped up some parent windows and focus was still on main MP window. For example with no video/audio popup.
    IMHO those notices/warnings should be just put on TV-image screen instead of annoying popup.. Anyways on XP this is not a problem as VMR9 exlusive mode deals it.

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    if you happen to build MP from source, you can enable exclusive mode by commenting out the line 330 in d3dapp.cs.

if (useEnhancedVideoRenderer) useExclusiveDirectXMode = false;

it should work ok, but will crash when the d3d surface is lost. this will happen when changing monitor refresh rate or using the taskmanager to change out of MP.

i do agree that it is an annoying thing of VISTA that we cannot change focus stealing behaviour.

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I already thought of writing a little app that would run on background and check continously which program has focus and when MP is running always change focus back to MP if some other program tries to steal it. Not very handy if one wants to use web browser on other monitor while watching TV. But at least focus would stay where it should when watching live tv.

With exclusive mode I can easily use other screen and MP doesn't mind. Without it when focus is lost, even menus go to 5-10fps instead of 60fps with exclusive mode. Unfortunately I'm not building from source but I may try to set up programming enviroment for MP though. Would be nice to tweak certain annoyances from the interface.

Sven

Portal Member
    January 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry for answering so late but I had a terrible cold this weekend.

i did reduce size a bit, but 50MB sounds a little short. can you open it in an editor and see if the logging is still running, i.e. if the last line starts with the current time? the lines should mostly say something about "Notifying scheduler/worker", "Returning sample", "Next schedule time" and stuff like that. if lines like these are in, the logger should run in extensive mode.

I forgot to save that log file so I had a new one created: MP ran for more that three and a half hour this time (checked in the log) and log file size is about 95 MB. There are lines similar to the ones you mentioned so I guess it's OK.

Up to now, I could, unfortunately, not reproduce the stuttering+crash with your verbose-logging dll. But I did not watch as much TV as usual during the last days (thanks to a permanent headache). I'll keep testing.

But still, since you didn't change anything except the logging, could this change somehow mitigate the problem (e.g. issues with threads not synchronized properly etc.)? The time I can watch TV until MP crashes varies but I'd say usually it would have crashed meanwhile (at least once).

Sven

Sven

Portal Member
    January 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The extensive logging version really seems to mitigate the problem somehow. It took some time to reproduce the issue with this version.

Anyway, the problem has just occurred now (finally - I hope this helps) but this time the symptoms were slightly different: I turned on MP, watched TV for about one minute and then tried opened the TV guide. Instead of showing the TV schedule (with TV playback running in a small box on the bottom left), the screen went black. Pushing various (keyboard) buttons didn't have any effect in MP for maybe ten seconds. Finally, I could return to the home screen by pressing ESC several times.

The error.log and vmr9.log look similar to the ones created during stuttering+crash so I guess it's the same problem or at least connected to this one.

I attached the (extensive) vmr9.log and error.log. I hope this helps to find the problem.

Thanks,
    Sven

deebo

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2006
    ive run into a weird problem with vista32 and evr in MP, the longer the uptime of my htpc is the worse the quality of playback is

after couple of days of running MP without restarting EVR is simply unusable, it stutters so much the videos become unwatchable

it starts simple, it just looks like the framerate at which its updated drops, but then gradually it becomes unusable with ot of stutter and skips

anyone else seeing this?

iosub

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    San Sebastian
    Deebo
    DO you have a Nvidia card?

I have seen that also after using MP+evr and going back to Vista MCE.. I get thouse problem that you describe on Vista MCE.
    When I was using Nvidia driver version 156.24 I had no priblems, but with 16x.xx I have your problems also..

Is maybe a Nvidia driver problem?

Iosu

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When I was using Nvidia driver version 156.24 I had no priblems, but with 16x.xx I have your problems also

Similar 158.xx worked fine, after that shit happened in many ways, Nvidia Purevideo decoder started glitching just prior to that, hence Cyberlink.

ATI has major problems, Nvidia is just irritating as it concentrate far to much on games, and not the htpc market.

That's why half the post here are codec related, not working with the graphics card correctly.

iosub

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    San Sebastian
    Paranoid...
    Do you get better results with 169.04 and cyberlink codesc?? or you get as with "Nvidia Purevideo decoder started glitching " ???

Should I back to 156.xx ?

Thanks for your help
    Iosu.

have you post this on nvidia forums? or guru3d?? any answer?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread