Vista and EVR support (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
Im not very familiar with this.. ive tried reading some posts but its just waaaay to many to read trough to just maybe get my questions answered. So if anyone wanna help me.. here goes:

1) Isnt EVR allready built in MP?
2) What you do here does it come with the SVN's or standalone patches?
3) I dont use MP for TV atm, is there any point in using EVR for locally stored x264 HD material? I use vista 32bit and have a Nvidia 7950GT card.
4) If so; Would what you are doing here do the job better then the built in support?
5) I see people have some trouble using this; is it just those few? I guess what im asking is this stable for most people?

ok i think thats all. thx =)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    1) Isnt EVR allready built in MP?

Eabin is working on it, mainly for xp, as Vista already has it.

2) What you do here does it come with the SVN's or standalone patches?

SVN's now come with it.

3) I dont use MP for TV atm, is there any point in using EVR for locally stored x264 HD material? I use vista 32bit and have a Nvidia 7950GT card.

Not sure about this whether x264 hd codec would use EVR, i have to say i presume so, as you are using Vista.

4) If so; Would what you are doing here do the job better then the built in support?

Well even on my system VMR9 occassionaly gave stuttering (which MP used previously by default xp or vista)

5) I see people have some trouble using this; is it just those few? I guess what im asking is this stable for most people?

Works fine for me, but i have Vista, wait for someone with xp to answer.

Regards

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I doubt Eabin is working with EVR mainly for XP, XP support is just a bonus. You should remember MP didn't support EVR at all under vista before Eabins work.

Darre

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thx Para

So this means enabling evr disables WMR9? I enabled it in MP setup but i dont really see any great improvement over not having it enabled PQ wise.. However i find the PQ in Vista better then xp. The colours are more crisp i think.

I got a SVN from 25 oct i think.. has there been any great improvements from then? Will later versions make the image better or is it stability issues thats worked on?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I got a SVN from 25 oct i think.. has there been any great improvements from then? Will later versions make the image better or is it stability issues thats worked on

I think it is stability, like you i am using svn from 25, if i go to a newer one have to many timeshift issues\channel change failures.

Not sure why this is happening, but reverting back to that release (16361) fixes it.

The main things you should notice, no tearing and no stutter.

I doubt Eabin is working with EVR mainly for XP, XP support is just a bonus. You should remember MP didn't support EVR at all under vista before Eabins work

Yes i know, should be more accurate with my comments, but sometimes you forget the start of a thread when it gets long and you know it works for you.

Cheers

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Yes, you should definitely use EVR with x264 files! You will notice the better black levels and absence of stuttering.

dekkers

Portal Pro
    December 2, 2006
    Maasdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So, if I get it right:

- EVR works with a GF7100GS, i CAN get better image quality.
    - With better cards like the 8000 series you can get hardware acceleration, and you can use more advanced features of EVR?

thnx guys

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    EVR works with a GF7100GS, i CAN get better image quality

Cannot comment, it could be a case of try it and see, but remember vista itself has high expectations of the hardware it runs on, how XP treats it again it could be down to individual systems, all i can say is EVR is hell of a lot better visually than VMR9 (Blacks look blacker).

With better cards like the 8000 series you can get hardware acceleration

For HD material i believe the ATI 2600XT is the one for HW acceleration, or the Nvidia 8600GT.

These are the bread & butter for the manufacturers, where the need for speed is really catered for with the mid-high end cards, and to be honest always have been and most probably will be for the foreseeable future.

Please do not quote back that your lower end card will do such and such, it may be your whole system is compatible with each other (ideal world), but a lot are not, if you seriously want low cpu with great graphics
    then a midrange card is for you, plus you get to play games on your TV :D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I got a SVN from 25 oct i think.. has there been any great improvements from then? Will later versions make the image better or is it stability issues thats worked on

I think it is stability, like you i am using svn from 25, if i go to a newer one have to many timeshift issues\channel change failures.

Not sure why this is happening, but reverting back to that release (16361) fixes it.

Please post bug report(s) about those issues you are having with the current SVN version. Otherwise those issues will most likely be there long time as the current one seems to be working pretty well for majority.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread