Storage (1 Viewer)

Discussions about HDD, SSD, DVD, BluRay, etc., go in here
MP1 MP2 Interesting DIY nas DE
Not a bad idea at all, really like the design, wouldn't mind buying something like that with a couple of changes. - Like you've mentioned I'd want it to be easier to swap out the drives. - Better cooling for the HDDs, perhaps by adding fans across the top of the case.
Not a bad idea at all, really like the design, wouldn't mind buying something like that with a couple of changes. - Like you've...
Hi folks, have a look at this guys' solution.... Watch: Black Dwarf Video Worklog Pt.1 Watch: Black Dwarf Video Worklog Pt.2...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 HDD Prices DE
Thank you for the reply, however, do note that this thread is nearly two years old.
Thank you for the reply, however, do note that this thread is nearly two years old.
I have just been looking at HDD's with a thought to get a couple of 2Tb ones for back up purposes. Is it me, or have HDD prices...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 SSD for tv DE
Hmm - well now I rebooted my server pc and everythings fine. :) most likely software glitch to do with MP, windows 7 or the cpu/ram not handling it
Hmm - well now I rebooted my server pc and everythings fine. :) most likely software glitch to do with MP, windows 7 or the...
So I've been having some glitches with my tv recordings ever since I started using MP ages ago. The glitches happen when the wind...
Replies
Views
I am having the same problem. I have two usb hard dirives and am only having this problem with the WD My Book drive. It shows to set them up in MP config but when I open MP they aren't there. The other drive is a WD Elements and it works fine. Drives me crazy.
I am having the same problem. I have two usb hard dirives and am only having this problem with the WD My Book drive. It shows to...
I am having a problem with Media portal recognizing my external HDD. Media Portal won't read or play or show any files on my...
Replies
Views
elsmandino, Did you get any recommendations for an SSD? I'm looking to use one purely for timeshifting, and not sure which to go for. Cheers, M
elsmandino, Did you get any recommendations for an SSD? I'm looking to use one purely for timeshifting, and not sure which to go...
Hi there, I am currently building a dedicated server to host media portal. I plan on putting in a WD AV-GP HDD (1.5TB) to do...
Replies
Views
Glad you got it sorted.
Glad you got it sorted.
Hi, Had my HTPC up and running for a few months and it worked brilliantly for its main purpose which was watching DVD 'Srunk'...
Replies
Views
Might it not be cheaper to get two seperate CF > SATA cards and then set the RAID1 through the motherboard? Here they sell'm for 15 dollars with free shipping.
Might it not be cheaper to get two seperate CF > SATA cards and then set the RAID1 through the motherboard? Here they sell'm for 15...
This smart DIY SSD adaptor looks flash to me. Excuse pun. Couple of cheap 4GB CF cards, and you're away with silent, low...
Replies
Views
OK, there are various faster non-hard-drive methods (SSD, RAMdisk, other kinds of flash memory) that should theoretically be better than cheap USB sticks, but what I'm saying is that a cheap USB stick is working perfectly for me (and has been for over a year) and cost hardly anything. And I'm using both DVB-S and DVB-T, SD and HD...
OK, there are various faster non-hard-drive methods (SSD, RAMdisk, other kinds of flash memory) that should theoretically be better...
i have tried a few USB Flash drives, with limited success - stuttering etc. My reserach indicates that some flash drives are...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 BD drive issues DE
These LG drives are a a little tricky to use with drive speed limiting apps like nero, it works but takes some time to configure. Slysoft's drive speed doesn't work with the LG drive when inserting a burned DVD.
These LG drives are a a little tricky to use with drive speed limiting apps like nero, it works but takes some time to configure...
Hello! I am thinking of upgrading my HTPC and installing a BD reader (and/or writer), and I was thinking about the LG ones. The...
Replies
Views
Remember that recorded digital TV is only in megabits, whereas your hard drive should be able to read and write many megabytes a second. I can easily record 10+ channels at once and play back at the same time.
Remember that recorded digital TV is only in megabits, whereas your hard drive should be able to read and write many megabytes a...
Hey everybody. I am planning to by a new Hard Drive for my recordings and would like to know if a Hard Drive with 5400 U/Min is...
Replies
Views
I use 3 x 2tb drives, 1st has a 40gb partition for OS\MP, 2nd partition for recordings\timeshift, I do not think it matters which drive you use. Media just fills up the other 2, so they can sleep.
I use 3 x 2tb drives, 1st has a 40gb partition for OS\MP, 2nd partition for recordings\timeshift, I do not think it matters which...
I have just been sent a new 2TB Hard Drive (WesternDigital WD20EARS-00MVWB0) which is the newest version with three platters rather...
Replies
Views
You should not have a problem if on Win7\Vista, cool'n'quiet should be disabled in BIOS, as the OS looks after things, also the optimiser is now part of the amd cpu driver, so again not necessary. Good luck in finding what the bottleneck is that's screwing playback, but definitely try without any plugins enabled first.
You should not have a problem if on Win7\Vista, cool'n'quiet should be disabled in BIOS, as the OS looks after things, also the...
I've been running my system from a WD GP RE2 drive as it's quiet, runs cool and my system is passively cooled. I've had to send...
Replies
Views
i would recommend an extra fan like a sharkoon silent eagle 1000. those things are almost inaudiable even at 12v. i had to experince what happens when a hdd gets too hot and its not funny loosing all your data. in my case i dint loose everything but datablocks have been cross referenced which for example means that some parts game...
i would recommend an extra fan like a sharkoon silent eagle 1000. those things are almost inaudiable even at 12v. i had to...
Hi I have Antec fusion V2 case and I have used elastic cords (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html ) to make the...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Recommended HDD! DE
Hi, here are my thoughts. Brand does not matter as match when you run Raid or some equivelent but certain things will always be important. Most manufactures are now going with a 3 year replacement warranty. I use to use Seagate simply because they had a 5 year warranty. It would be interesting to see how this has effected their...
Hi, here are my thoughts. Brand does not matter as match when you run Raid or some equivelent but certain things will always be...
Hi guys, I just bought Samsung F3 drives and I'm really pleased how cool and quiet they are.
Replies
Views
If you haven't found a solution I have it here: NeroDriveSpeed (http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/Nero-DriveSpeed.shtml). For setting this up, put a dvd in the drive and if you have multiple drives remember to select the correct one. Choose options and add the lowest speed and delete the rest. Also set...
If you haven't found a solution I have it here: NeroDriveSpeed...
I need to slow a DVD/Blu Ray drive to make it acceptable for use in a media centre. All the utilities I can find seem to be...
Replies
Views
Thanks @azzuro but that is exactly how I shared the drive, and as you can see in the article, Windows sees it as a 'network folder' and not an 'optical drive' when you access the share.
Thanks @azzuro but that is exactly how I shared the drive, and as you can see in the article, Windows sees it as a 'network folder'...
Hey everyone, I'm currently running a Gigabyte Brix as my HTPC with MP happily, and the only thing it's missing is a bluray player...
Replies
Views
Yeah actually the i3-3225 is fine, it's worth it over the i3-3220... for some reason I thought the CPU you listed wasn't the cheapest 3rd gen i3. You can also consider AMD Trinity A4-5300 A6-5400 both are also good HTPC CPUs (Don't get the AMD Llano eg. A4-3XXX or A6-3XXX) The AMD CPUs generally have slightly faster graphics and...
Yeah actually the i3-3225 is fine, it's worth it over the i3-3220... for some reason I thought the CPU you listed wasn't the...
My current HTPC uses a 2tb WD green drive for everything. I plan to keep this drive for the new rig. I'm about to order parts for...
Replies
Views
Agree with above, If using XP then you can get away with a lot less than 60GB for the OS. I would recommend 20GB (C) - Operating System + Paging file + Mediaportal + Programs 5GB (D) - Timeshift drive 225GB (E) - Media Drive Set paging file size Min & Max = 2048MB (So it uses a fixes size = less fragmentation)
Agree with above, If using XP then you can get away with a lot less than 60GB for the OS. I would recommend 20GB (C) - Operating...
Looking to optimize my storage setup. I run MP1.0.2 on XP SP3 Mostly ATSC TV output over HDMI I have a single 250GB drive that...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the input. I'll look into getting some higher quality power supplies, these seem pretty cheap. In fact, I bought the disks in the US and now live in Kazakhstan, so I wonder if the different power coming in might have an impact on these. Maybe if I can find some Euro/Asian standard supplies that will work with these...
Thanks for the input. I'll look into getting some higher quality power supplies, these seem pretty cheap. In fact, I bought the...
I recently moved my MP setup to a new laptop. As with my previous setup, media is stored on two external HDDs. Unlike with my...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 OpenMediaVault DE
Well OMV is front-end to Debian (Squeeze), so it has the same features as a normal Debian installation. However far from everything is managable from the web gui.
Well OMV is front-end to Debian (Squeeze), so it has the same features as a normal Debian installation. However far from everything...
A replacement for FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault is based on Debian. Check it out; OpenMediaVault - Home
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Raid storage case DE
Sounds like a good plan, and one I have been looking at too. These people seem to do everything SATA that you could want: 3.5 SATA Aluminum External Hard Drive Enclosure for MAC and PC But for some serious expandable storage, have a look at this: Storage Rack Overview from Addonics It would need some work to make it silent...
Sounds like a good plan, and one I have been looking at too. These people seem to do everything SATA that you could want: 3.5...
Ok I want to make my own raid storage case and need a case to start with The odds are I will end up using a htpc case and gutting...
Replies
Views
AW: Which Hard Drives help well, timeshift is in default settings just 6 - 10 files of each 250MB. There is only one written at a time. From a hard disc operation point of view, it is a continuous writing of one file without almost any search and head positioning (and only while watching TV or pausing). Should not have a negative...
AW: Which Hard Drives help well, timeshift is in default settings just 6 - 10 files of each 250MB. There is only one written at a...
Hi looking for some help on which hard drives to use in my htpc running Mp At the moment running Raid 0 with 2 x Samsung 250Gb...
Replies
Views
I used to use 2.5" SATA HDDs in my 2 client PCs, but I got fed up of the constant clicking noise coming from one of them. I think it was a Western Digital drive. I found out it was the over aggressive power saving feature on the drive trying to park the heads every 20 seconds or so. Since I use a server for everything and the only...
I used to use 2.5" SATA HDDs in my 2 client PCs, but I got fed up of the constant clicking noise coming from one of them. I think...
Is anyone using normal laptop drives in their HTPC. I currently have a Western Digital 500GB GP drive in my HTPC but I use...
Replies
Views
Still doing the same thing with the new drivers. Turns out it works in the rear USB3 ports, so presumably it's just the Intel controller that doesn't get on with that drive caddy, whereas the rear ASMedia-driven ports are OK. Another USB3 caddy I borrowed works on those ports, so it seems like it's just bad luck with that particular...
Still doing the same thing with the new drivers. Turns out it works in the rear USB3 ports, so presumably it's just the Intel...
Nothing to do with MediaPortal, but I've had no luck with googling so thought there's no harm in asking the folk here... My new...
Replies
Views
Mine's not fixed unfortunately (or I have a different problem as well). I might try flashing again to see if that helps -some people report that the problem goes away after flashing twice...
Mine's not fixed unfortunately (or I have a different problem as well). I might try flashing again to see if that helps -some...
In case this is happening to anyone else, if you have a Crucial M4 and have found your system freezing recently at random (usually...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much Eeyore, but I already went ahead and made a 50gig partition. All went wrong and mediaportal was installed all over the shop , so I ended up removing the partition, uninstalling mediaportal and reinstalling and all is well. Have encountered other small problems that I need help fixing but need to be posted in another...
Thanks very much Eeyore, but I already went ahead and made a 50gig partition. All went wrong and mediaportal was installed all...
Iwas going to use a small ide drive for windows xp and mediaportal, and a large sata drive for storage but I cant get them to read...
Replies
Views
Thanks Aitor! Yes I use Win7 - I'll try it tomorrow M
Thanks Aitor! Yes I use Win7 - I'll try it tomorrow M
Hi, I have a 64Gb SSD coming tomorrow for my bedroom client. I have just got it working well and all plugins working properly...
Replies
Views
i personally have a simple setup with a single sata2 hdd ..no SSD's involved at all i dont see any real problems as i only have the 1 tv tuner and everything else streams from either the internet or from my 10/100 networked pc in the other room perhaps a pc with lots of tuners or when streaming tv channels to other pcs in your...
i personally have a simple setup with a single sata2 hdd ..no SSD's involved at all i dont see any real problems as i only have...
Hi all, I am very keen to get started using MediaPortal TV-Server on my Windows Home Server. I know it's not officially supported...
Replies
Views
I have added this to the Useful Posts thread under the newcomers forum. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/useful-posts-50062/
I have added this to the Useful Posts thread under the newcomers forum...
Dear Community, I would tell you a short story about my Segate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB HDD. Some days ago, my HTPC...
Replies
Views
Hi Karmi, yes I did this. The thing to remember is Microsoft tools typically only allow you to migrate a drive to another of equal or greater size regardless of wether the actual amount of data on the HDD would fit on the SSD or not. What I did was download a trial version of Acronis True Image...
Hi Karmi, yes I did this. The thing to remember is Microsoft tools typically only allow you to migrate a drive to another of equal...
As the title says.
Replies
Views
Top Bottom