Hauppauge HD PVR (1 Viewer)

killervette

Portal Member
April 22, 2008
problem!! i got an email from hauppauge and he said only 1 is supported per system :(

tastysheriff

January 24, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Just for clarification, the Hauppauge HD PVR is NOT a tuner, it's simply a video recorder. As I understand the hardware only converts the component input into h.264, and sends it through USB. It does however have a build-in IR blaster, which means that it can control your set-top-box. Furthermore, I know that the unit is meant to be programmed to record via On-Screen-Display, and I'm not certain whether or not this is programmable through the computer connection.

Also, It sounds like a number of other HTPC software solutions are supporting it. SageTV and one other project got pre-release units to ensure support, and MythTV is (allegedly) hard at work on support. As far as supported hardware goes, this seems to me like it should be an extremely high priority. This is the first <$1000 solution I've found for recording HD content on the PC.

garry

Portal Pro
December 11, 2005
California
Home Country
Furthermore, I know that the unit is meant to be programmed to record via On-Screen-Display, and I'm not certain whether or not this is programmable through the computer connection.

This is definitely not correct, there is no "On-Screen-Display" that this device provides as its video outputs are only pass-through. It is entirely controlled by the PC. Think of it like a PVR-150 using the s-video inuput.

I'd like to see mediaportal support it as well, but I doubt it will be a high priority as this box is mostly useful in USA/Canada and most of the developers are outside of North America.

Wonderm00n

Portal Pro
September 12, 2007
Seixal, &quot;a margem certa&quot;
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
It would be GREAT if this is supported for playback.

As mentioned before, this should be like a PVR-150 (or 500) using S-VIDEO.

I just got a brand new HD set-up box from my cable provider and I would love to just re-route the output from it's component exits to Media Portal and "forget" that the set-up box even exists!

garry

Portal Pro
December 11, 2005
California
Home Country
Did (or could) you try it under TV3? I think they way it works with tuners is a bit more generic than the built in engine.

LtDan

July 17, 2008
Did (or could) you try it under TV3? I think they way it works with tuners is a bit more generic than the built in engine.
I just installed TV3 and tried it out. I can't add it and the only thing TV3 sees is the RadioWebStream Card.

Users who are viewing this thread