LCARS skin? (2 Viewers)

butcherBoy

Portal Pro
September 7, 2004
Germany
great! it's growing!

did some tests with font style and positioning.

you can download a lcars font here (only in german but i think there are english sites where you can download this font too):
http://www.gtjlcars.de/LCARSindex/LCARSFONTS.htm

for best result use a font size of 14, 18, 24 or 36 pixel. edit your font.xml file and replace arial with the fontname LCARS GTJ2.

the words "system date" and "system time" are part of the background image so you don't have to worry about creating the string. if you jump into another menu you have to change the background image reference in your xml file.

here i found a colorindex:
http://www.gtjlcars.de/LCARSindex/Colorindex1.htm

i will post some screenshots soon. if you want i can upload my photoshop artwork so it's easy to edit the graphics.

the butcher

butcherBoy

Portal Pro
September 7, 2004
Germany
made a screenshot. as you can see, there are a lot of things to do. especially the overlay images (they are still from mce skin).

lcars_screen.gif

the butcher

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Did some more. (dont want to spam pics so Ill just do links)

http://www.users.on.net/~nperin/lcars2.jpg

^^ Gotta do the rest of the floating images as you can see in the above pic. Cant use the selection bar like in the first pics because it applies to everything. The selection bar wont work in tvguide/etc. because text is hardcoded to left aligned.

Where did you get the Settings floating image from Butcherboy?

http://www.users.on.net/~nperin/lcars3.jpg

^^ Gotta do the on/off style buttons. People like the progress bar? (Right under the Gold start bit running across part of the background) Dont have tv tuner in this computer so I cant test chanel/description positions, they wont show up for me. Will have to later on the htpc when its not recording.

My videos is done as well.

butcherBoy

Portal Pro
    September 7, 2004
    Germany
    the settings image is a modified image of my first mp skin. i can upload all images if you want to use it. but i would prefer some nice 3d renderings.

why don't you use another layout for all submenus? so you can use more space. i think the progressbar is too far away from the tv preview. it's more userfriendy to put this elements together. form follows function :wink:

the butcher

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It's really starting to look good!

I agree with ButcherBoys comments.

I have a PC with a tuner that I can easily test with. If you want to zip up the skin I can load it up and get screen shots. I know enough xml to tweak things a little as well :) Same would be true for the OSD. Speaking of the OSD, I like Inkers. Maybe somewhat less obtrusive on the top part. Maybe even use just the lower part.

One more thing, On the main menu it says 'MP LCARS Console * Start'. Maybe that could be changed from MP to MediaPortal. Its a nit pick I know, but the MP just doesn't look right to me.

My wife willl hate this skin, but my kids and myself will vote it in ;)

butcherBoy

Portal Pro
    September 7, 2004
    Germany
    but there is one problem when changing mp to mediaportal. even now there is not enough space for other modules in submenus. for example the word "television" has to fit in that place.

the butcher

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    butcherBoy said:
    but there is one problem when changing mp to mediaportal. even now there is not enough space for other modules in submenus. for example the word "television" has to fit in that place.

the butcher

Hmmm. When I run this skin I will have a look. But taking up more space on that top line should still be OK. But there are more important features to take care of first.

Users who are viewing this thread