[MP1-4742] Rework keepstartfullscreen option to be able to switch to windowed mode (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    With the option, it override some windows message (fullscreen and resize) :)
    Sure, but wouldn't it be easy for the code to "override"/ignore the messages only in fullscreen mode [and not override/ignore the messages in windowed mode]?

Remove the "if" here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi.../MediaPortal.Application/MediaPortal.cs#L4027

Change this back to "Windowed = !startFullscreen;":
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...Portal.Application/MediaPortal.cs#L1263-L1270

...and finally, replace all of:
    Code:
    if (!_keepstartfullscreen) ...

...with...
    Code:
    if (Windowed || !_keepstartfullscreen) ...

Look the screenshot :
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/t...d-working-in-v1-13-0-pre.133122/#post-1168496
    The option is clear, keep MP as fullscreen :p
    The wording can easily be modified.

Is there some other reason - technical, usability etc. - to need or want to disable windowed mode?

Reason I ask this question: currently there seems to be no easy solution for somebody who wants to force MP to stay fullscreen in fullscreen mode... but sometimes also wants to use windowed mode.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi @mm1352000

It's really to avoid MP resolution to change (can be useful on resume etc.)
    When we authorize 'togglefullscreen' we need to authorize all other code like :
    WM_GETMINMAXINFO
    WM_SIZE
    WM_SIZING
    etc.
    And when resume with the 1024x768 issue, it can failed for some people, this is why such option was corrected to not permit it if we want MP to stay Fullscreen.

So you are right that if "override"/ignore the messages only in fullscreen mode [and not override/ignore the messages in windowed mode] could do the trick too, like this if we are in fullscreen it will stay like this :) (I like the idea)

What wording can we change for that option ?

Also i think we should remove the 'if (!_keepstartfullscreen) ... here : (right ?)
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...diaportal/MediaPortal.Application/D3D.cs#L487

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Also i think we should remove the 'if (!_keepstartfullscreen) ... here : (right ?)
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...diaportal/MediaPortal.Application/D3D.cs#L487
    Yes, that's right - sorry I missed that the setting was also used in D3D. :oops:

What wording can we change for that option ?
    Maybe something like: "Ignore Windows resolution/size changes in fullscreen mode".

Note I took out the reference to "start"/"startup" because:
    • when starting in fullscreen mode, MP resolution would be taken from the current screen resolution
    • when starting in windowed mode and/or later toggling from windowed to fullscreen mode, MP resolution would be taken from the current screen resolution (not the screen resolution at startup, even if starting in fullscreen mode)
    To be clear: I think the second point/behaviour is desirable. This enables people to use window/fullscreen mode toggle to reset MP's size/resolution (in case of error).

P.S. I would also change the variable (and setting???) name in the code from _keepstartfullscreen to something like _ignoreFullscreenResolutionChanges to be consistent.

Users who are viewing this thread