SSD and Timeshifiting still an issue? with recent MP 1.2.0 (1 Viewer)

lightman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    is it still an issue with SSD an timeshifting with the modern version of MePo 1.2.0 final?
    or are the write actions killing for the modern SSD?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi lightman

If the SSD supports TRIM (like most modern SSDs) then slow downs over time shouldn't be too much of a problem, but of course using an SSD for timeshifting and/or recording is always going to use up write cycles. I would still use a standard HDD for timeshifting and recording. There is not normally any need for an SSD for this purpose, and using a standard HDD removes any risk of reducing the lifetime of the SSD.

mm

lightman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    thnx for the reply
    my recordings are saved on a NAS

my SSD running fine.
    i replaced my hdd because of its more silence then an HDD, minimum power consumption etc...

is in an recommondation to use a RAM disk instead for the timeshifting part?
    or put timeshifting on the NAS (is that fast enough?)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    In my setup:

SSD for the OS+MP
    ramdisk (2GB for timeshift)
    NAS for recordings

lightman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    In my setup:

SSD for the OS+MP
    ramdisk (2GB for timeshift)
    NAS for recordings

with wich product you setup the ramdisk?
    whats the total amount of memory you got in your system?

on wich parameter does the size of the ramdisk depend? (how many tuners for example?)

my recordings are saved on a NAS
    Direct recording to the NAS, or record to SSD/HDD then copy to NAS?

Direct recordings (working fine)

is in an recommondation to use a RAM disk instead for the timeshifting part?
    I'd use RAM disk instead of SSD if there is no regular HDD available.

ok thnx now gonna concentrate how to setup a correct sized ramdisk

lightman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    yes if seen it
    but what are the user experiences?

thats why i am asking for the configuration.

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm using a 4GB ramdisk (the maximum that the free version of Dataram RAMdisk allowed) on an 8GB system. Performance is great, I can zoom around the timeshifting buffer without any issue.

The mediaportal tv server configuration tool actually tells you how many minutes of timeshifting you can expect when you tell it how much space to use.
    My 4GB arrangement gets me just under 36 minutes of HD timeshifting (98 minutes of SD). It's not quite as much as I'd like but I can't make it any bigger unless I move the timeshift over to the NAS.

Total memory use on the system is 5.1GB with mediaportal running so there's plenty left.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Running a 4GB timeshift here as well, works perfectly on multiseat MP. Recordings are on a 1.5 TB 5400 drive.

Users who are viewing this thread