SSD and Timeshifiting still an issue? with recent MP 1.2.0 (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    You can buy an out-of-the-box NAS that runs some Linux deviant. Or you can build your own using standard PC-hardware and put any OS on it, making it ~ 500% more useful than a "dumb" NAS. My TV-Server runs on the NAS, so does my webserver, my FTP-server, my music-server etc.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    so essentially it can just be another PC

im thinking when i eventually upgrade my gaming PC(also the tv server) it will be a beast and have 16GB ram and just use a RAM disk of roughly 8GB for timehsifting

the problem in coming up aginst is that recordings (using mpeg2)are actually choppy when i play it back on my client PC(using multiseat here) ... so perhaps ill partition a 120gb ssd into 2 drives and use 20 gig for timeshifting and 100gb for recordings

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    How are the connected? I have no problem streaming multiple 1080p streams to two clients - one of them is even connected through WLAN...the rest is on Gigabit ethernet (server, HTPC, router, switch).

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Gigabit router over the lan cable running as a multiseat setup with server and 1 client. Currently using the same 500gb HDD for my OS, Recordings and Timeshifting .. its just a normal sata2 drive.

Ive going to test out a a 1GB (of my 4GB total) ramdisk tonight (formula1 qualifying always gives me skipping).

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hmmm... a very interesting discussion.... I have tried RAMDisk previously, but bought a SSD and put the OS and Timeshift folder on this.

Now, I occasionally get stutter on HD - certainly nothing major, or anything to make it unwatchable, and this stutter coincides with the HD light flickering very brightly. So, much activity going on, and this has now got me thinking about RAM Drives again - I have just checked on Amazon and the prices of RAM are much lower than the last time I looked - I can get 8Gb for £90 - I have spent more on drinks on a night out! :eek:

I am using Win7 32bit - I have 4Gb installed and can go upto 16Gb with my current motherboard. Say I put another 8Gb RAM in there, will RAMDisk show this and allow it to be partitioned and used as a Timeshift buffer, or is anything above 4Gb just not visible or usable at all, and not only by the OS, but by any applications running on it too.

If this was the limitation, I presume I would have to go onto Win7 x64 ?

Many thanks,

M.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Win 7 32bit is limited to 3.5gig to be read by the OS.
    You need Win 7 64bit to get a full 4gig of ram .. or higher.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary

Users who are viewing this thread