What should I add to MyPictures? (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Any thoughts on using the albmum-view type for pictures?

Here is how it looks/can look for music:
    43518d1247605738-new-skin-trueview-blue-800x600-4x3-revealed-15-03-45.png

jvs

Portal Member
    July 30, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I (unfortunately) really like the way Windows media Center (Vista) treats Music and Pictures.. I would love to see those ideas adopted and improved upon!!

magiardi

Portal Member
    March 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I would like a screen saver "randomiser" where you select folders from your photo collection and after x minutes of MP home screen the screen saver starts, turning your HTPC into a photo frame companion...

vencav

Portal Member
    February 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    +1 for randomized screen saver ... and what about new type of slideshow - I seen it on MacTV - it was like rain of random pictures... perfect as sceensaver when you are sitting with friends or family with music ... random images are falling down

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Not sure if this has been asked before, [edit: it has] but for me the main thing that stops me from viewing photos via Media Portal is the lack of sorting by date that the photos were taken, not the file or folder date (which changes over the years due to restores, modifying, etc.).

Currently, MediaPortal shows my folders by folder name or folder date, but the date it uses is useless (it's either the date of the folder, or some other file modified-date). The folder date is usually totally incorrect because I've copied/moved/restored it at some point in the past, and suddenly my 2001 photos are all at the top of the list with a folder date of last week because something's touched the directory. Grrr!

I think the coolest looking way to display a collection is via a coverflow timeline idea, where you slide left or right through a timeline. Select photos could be displayed along this timeline (either a specific photo from a collection within a directory, or ones that most closely align to the date being displayed on the timeline, etc.). Some sort of collection name, or folder name, could also be displayed onscreen as you zip through the collection. Clicking on a photo, or date, would then drill down to the photos within.

The timeline would need a small dot or something on the line to indicate that there are photos for that period so that you could drill down to it. Perhaps the subsequent drilled-down view would be more coverflow, with the same timeline now restricted to the date range of that subset.

I think the ability to slide quickly through your entire collection would be great. You could quickly see photos that bring back a memory and warrant further drill-down, or be reminded of events you'd forgotten without having to go through the tedium of going into each folder to see what photos are there.

Alternatively, I'd love a utility that sets the >folder< date to the exif date of the photos within it. I have searched for this facility but there doesn't appear to be one. I don't think a major application is warranted; just a cmd-line based util that I can run in a schedule. As I said, I've look for this feature but haven't found it. If anyone knows of a utility that can do precisely this, let me know. All the apps I've found will read exif dates, modify a photo's exif information, set a bunch of file attributes based on criteria etc. etc. but none will simply update the folder's date to the date of the most recent "Date Photo Taken" date of the photos contained within.

Then, finally, I can use MP to view photos!

Tine

Portal Pro
    October 9, 2008
    Kranj
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    dir i have same problem with sorting and dates like you.

so +1 for that.

And for the screensaver idea. I simply use picasa screensaver and it works great. You can also use built in photo screensaver in windows.

Regards, Tine

gurkc006

Portal Member
    July 13, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    yesterday I just found this thread, great idea to improve MyPictrues. My suggestion is to have the possibility to create playilsts for individual slideshows, like in MyMusic. So you could create different slideshows without copying all the file multiple times on your hdd. Even slideshows spanning multiple directories would be posssible. What do you think? Is there a common format for picture "playlists"?
    I would like to have these playlists in the picture folders, but they should only be played, when selected, not in slideshow mode...
    Regards, Christian

kalinium1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 10, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    If something like the Ambient slide show screen saver in 7MC, could be added to MP it would be so cool, it's one to the nicest features ever.

Users who are viewing this thread