Windows Server 2008 and IR (1 Viewer)

werfman

Portal Member
September 4, 2006
I am using Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition 64 and I am wondering how to get the Microsoft EHOME Infrared Receiver working. If this is not possible, is there a IRDA receiver that can receive the MCIR commands?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm sorry, but I'm not aware of any solution to your problem...

The only thing I could think of would be to try getting the IR support files from Vista x64 and then try getting them to work.

There is no eHome IR device support in Windows XP x64 (as far as I know) and the Replacement Driver never worked with x64 either... I tried compiling it for x64 but couldn't debug it because I don't have an x64 CPU or OS...

As for the IRDA idea ... that's not likely to work either I'm afraid ...

To get IRDA to work as a Consumer IR remote receiver you need to make some pretty big changes to the drivers, and even then it will only work with a few IRDA chips... They've had some luck doing this on Linux (LIRC), but to do the same on Windows would take a pretty big effort, and given that there are so many cheap alternatives I don't think it's warranted.

You're better off getting a new remote receiver that works on a 64bit OS. I think the USB-UIRT might be a suitable alternative and you'd still be able to use the MCE remote with it if you have the right software.

Best of luck,

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

His problem is a little more involved than that, but your enthusiasm for EventGhost is obvious :)

werfman:

I think the files you should try from Vista x64 are:

usbcir.inf
    usbcir.sys
    circlass.inf
    circlass.sys
    CIRCoInst.dll

Then try installing the inf files and see if that works... I can't make any promises, but it's worth a shot!

Cheers,

werfman

Portal Member
    September 4, 2006
    USB-UIRT and drivers from Vista 64

USB-UIRT:
    USB-UIRT told me that the driver from Windows ? 64 will work on Windows Server 2008. After that I think it is possible to receive the MCE codes.

Vista 64:
    I thought it must be simple to get the drivers from my Windows Vista 64 system but the system don't like that. I like the idea and I hope there is a solution to get it work.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The Vista x64 drivers don't work at all?

Bummer,

You might just be stuck with getting something else, like the USB-UIRT.

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    His problem is a little more involved than that, but your enthusiasm for EventGhost is obvious :)

:rolleyes:

It is incredible how wide-ranging the programs capabilities are... and it's even simple to understand for new users. I didn't want to make just plain advertising than rather share my positive experience. Sorry it couldn't help in this case.

-level20peon

werfman

Portal Member
    September 4, 2006
    I installed SP1 on my Windows Vista system and borrowed the following drivers and .inf files:
    circlass.inf
    circlass.sys
    CIRCoInst.dll
    hidclass.sys
    hidir.sys
    hidparse.sys
    usbcir.inf
    usbcir.sys

I changed the .inf file and installed the drivers, after that the system recognized the eHome IR Receiver (I am happy).

Thanks guys.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    great news!

Thanks for lettings us know, I'm sure other users will benefit from this!

Users who are viewing this thread