Xvid Movies Not Playing (1 Viewer)

akhlaq768

Portal Member
April 1, 2010
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I can't seem to get any of my movies to play...

They are all xvid files but when i play them on MP it comes up with an error saying file is xvid and something about mp3...

Is there a fix for this?

thanks

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
April 11, 2005
Brussels
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
The error you get is probably saying that it cannot play the files, then stating which kind of content they have (xvid for video and mp3 for audio). This means that you don't have the right codecs installed or that MP is not configured to use the right codecs.

You can solve this in a few ways. One way would be to install your own codec of choice. Before my MP days that would typically be the divx codec. Then I discovered ffdshow.

Right now I would recommend SAF by Hoborg: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...xperimental-based-ffdshow-dxva-decoder-77591/

This makes sure your computer can plan (almost) any type of files.

akhlaq768

Portal Member
April 1, 2010
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
ive just installed the suggested file but now have no sound... can anyone help please

hamse

Portal Member
February 4, 2008
I have the same problem. I can't play any video files... Always comes up with an error. I have tried reinstalling MP, reinstalling SAF, nothing helps. Getting kinda frustrating

Furetto

Moderator - Dutch Forums
April 11, 2005
Brussels
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
A few things you might try:

You can simply remove SAF by re-running the installer, or with the latest version there should be an entry in the start menu.
If all this fails to help, post in the SAF-thread itself, Hoborg is in general very quick and helpfull.

Also, send him a PM asking for the "unlocked" version. For legal reasons, no information about this can be posted on the forum.

andrewNZ

Portal Member
March 31, 2010
Dunedin
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I had the exact same problem a week or so ago. Initially I could play everything I had, then (maybe about the time I upgraded to 1.1RC2, don't remember) i was suddenly unable to play xvid files. I scoured the forums but the more I tried to fix the problem the more formats I was unable to play. In the end the only thing I could watch was live TV (and possibly recordings. I didn't try)

It seems every codec change made things irreversibly worse.

My eventual fix was to restore from a system image. I would have dearly loved to find what the issue was, but the risk of my temper overcoming my reasoning was too big.
I'm now back at 1.1RC1, think I'll risk RC2 again in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread