Android: What is your experience? (1 Viewer)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Decisions...Decisions....

iPhone4...or HTC Desire.....

J.

bhengeveld

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I also wanted TV on my android, so I fixed it using VLC.

Index of /port/MP you can see the result here, it has a webinterface to select a channel, then VLC has to stream for 10 secs (which is faster then iPimp ;)).

There is only one problem. It uses the RTSP protocol, but VLC won't allow me to choose the ports on which audio and video will be streamed. You can only give a startport (like above: 1234) but each time you start a stream, this port will be upped by three. So you have to open NAT ports 1234 to 5000 or more... or use VPN or use it only local (Wifi).

If someone knows an answer to this problem, I can fix it and release MP HTTP-Stream. It can also stream your movies and music :).

Can't wait!!! :D

BeLLe

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2008
    I'm using a app called Stream player on my HTV desire for rtsp:// streams and it works perfect

Is' it possible that iPimp at some point will be able to make rtsp:// links to the different live tv channels so you can watch live tv?

alturismo

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    when i remember correctly i used something like this to stream

Stream in RTP:

•on the server, run:

% vlc -vvv input_stream --sout '#rtp{dst=192.168.0.12,port=1234,sdp=rtsp://server.example.org:8080/test.sdp}'
    •on the client(s), run:

% vlc rtsp://server.example.org:8080/test.sdp

and had to open only those 2 ports ... but may im wrong, long time ago streaming from my dbox to clients using a server between

[XStream]

Portal Member
    August 14, 2006
    Behind you... scared?
    Hi!

Seems this thread has gone a bit OT but I'll share my iPimp experience anyway.
    Disclaimer: This posts contain information i gathered during a brief test run of iPimp a while back, I may be very, very wrong.

I tried this on a Hero running 1.5 and while the application seemed to work fairly good i had a real problem with the whole concept.
    The idea is very nice and execution is okay i guess, but it poses alot of problems with bending my environment into iPimps frames. For one, alot of my movies are stored on DVDs and a few more are stored in a way that Mediaportal can't keep track of them using the builtin database. While i probably could make that work anyway it's just too much trouble compared to just using a regular old remote and browsing my way through the regular interface on screen.

Also, the configuration, while not hard still was still a slightly confusing experience. I can't quite remember any specifics but i felt the adding of computers etc. a bit confusing as a whole.

This is just me, if you like the builtin database iPimp is surely the savior of the day but i'm still looking for a replacement for PPC Tablet Remote Control Suite.

Cheers

Mr.Goro

Portal Member
    April 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Android: What is your experience?

I also tried iPiMP on my HTC Desire and it works great! Would just be really cool to have the support of video as mentioned before!

With Firefox and my Android Browser I receive this error when playing the stream:

#EXTM3U
    #EXT-X-VERSION:1
    ## Created with mod_smooth_streaming(version=1.4.0)
    #EXT-X-STREAM-INF:pROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=320000,CODECS="mp4a.40.2,avc1.66.30",RESOLUTION=420x272
    SmoothStream-320k.m3u8

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: Android: What is your experience?

This is because Android doesn't support HTTP streaming and the iPhone specific .m3u8 playlist file. I'm looking at getting a flash player added to the next version, perhaps that'd run on Android.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My 2c

I see live streaming as a little bit of a novelty/show off factor, because
    1. If I am at home I can just watch on my regular TV, why would I want to watch on a small device
    2. If I am away from home, the data chargers would be horrendous.

I think a more useful functionality would be
    1. Browse the media in the recorded tv / tv series / moving pictures database on your smart phone. Choose any shows you want and they will automatically be transcoded + transfered on to your phone to watch at a later date.
    2. In recorded TV there is an option to have a particular recording schedule automatically be transfered to your phone after every recording. This way I can have the latest copy of the news always on the phone.
    3. If watching a tv series on the phone, then the phone automatically grabs the next "unwatched" show in the tvseries database whenever it syncs. When it syncs it also updates the watched flag in tvseries. By using the watched flag in tvseries database, it will also skip any episodes i happen to watch on the HTPC.

BeLLe

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2008
    My 2c

I see live streaming as a little bit of a novelty/show off factor, because
    1. If I am at home I can just watch on my regular TV, why would I want to watch on a small device
    2. If I am away from home, the data chargers would be horrendous.

I see Live TV streaming a very important factor. I agree with your first point but not with the 2nd, because
    1. it's becoming more and more normal (at least in europe) to have a data plan with your smartphone where you pay a fixed amount a month for free data traffic.
    2. free WiFi hotspots are very common so it would be possible to hook up to one if needed.

I would have loved to be able to sit in the park and enjoying the sun while watching the World Cup on my Desire instead of sitting in my hot living room.... maybe it'll be possible next time :D

Users who are viewing this thread