change to radiotimes website?? (1 Viewer)

doogle

Portal Pro
October 24, 2008
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
slightly tangential, but does anyone have an opinion as to which is best in terms of accuracy and update frequency: radiotimes or digiguide?

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Also, is the access to both "legal" the radio times file header seems to indicate that use of the data is ok for personal use, so I guess that is ok. But I thought that you had to pay for digiguide...

mr.duck

Portal Member
    December 31, 2008
    Ah well, time to send an email to radio.times@bbc.co.uk and see what comes back...

Did you get a reply? I am wondering what the problem is/was.

slightly tangential, but does anyone have an opinion as to which is best in terms of accuracy and update frequency: radiotimes or digiguide?

Radiotimes updates every day. Digiguide is payed for service isn't it? It not worth it. For me it is a choice between radio times or grabbing the EPG off the airwaves. Radio times does 2 weeks rather that one but sometimes has gaps and problems when it doesn't update properly. Sometimes there will be a program called "Empty" too. Reliability is worse with radio times as well. Esp if they go down or your modem breaks. Grabbing the EPG off the air works all the time so far, program names are shorter too so the whole system I have just works better. If only they broadcasted 2 weeks EPG...

doogle

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    you can pay for digiguide as a standalone application if you want, but it works the same as radiotimes as far as webepg is concerned. I don't normally have any issues with radiotimes in terms of reliability, but something happened over the last few days. I'm just wondering whether there's any reason to change each channel back to it ....

mr.duck

Portal Member
    December 31, 2008
    Radiotimes isn't that great. They don't do all the channels either and they don't do any radio channels. Listings doing seem to be back up even now. I refreshed it and no data for BBC1 http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/92.dat. Refresh it enough and eventually it comes back but takes minutes.

I don't see how digiguide is free. In XMLTV GUI to default settings to access it are to look on localhost. Meaning you need the app installed. No?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Radio Times have changed the "handshake" that is needed to access the xml feed, that's happened before, will see if I can get someone interested in fixing it.

birty

Portal Member
    March 14, 2007
    Radio Times have changed the "handshake" that is needed to access the xml feed, that's happened before, will see if I can get someone interested in fixing it.

How do you mean they have changed the handshake? as far as I am aware there is no handshake, the problems people are having here is the listings simply were offline for a few days. It has happened before and I'm sure will happen again but its normally fixed within a few days and as the listings should be available for at least a week in advance normally I wouldn't expect it to affect many people. I didn't even notice the listings were broken until someone pointed it out

doogle

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I didn't even notice the listings were broken until someone pointed it out

if the recommended setting "delete all programmes before update" is activated, then you'll notice fairly quickly.

I don't see how digiguide is free. In XMLTV GUI to default settings to access it are to look on localhost. Meaning you need the app installed. No?

Trust me it's free!

birty

Portal Member
    March 14, 2007
    If you are using the latest xmltv gui then it won't write a listings file if it downloads no programs, therefore mediaportal should just re-import the old file

doogle

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    If you are using the latest xmltv gui then it won't write a listings file if it downloads no programs, therefore mediaportal should just re-import the old file

well that's interesting - in mp1.02 tvguide.xml gets overwritten. I must check this out - I don't use xmltv in mp1.1 as webepg allows write direct to tv server database.

Just thinking about this - if any channel gets no programme data and at least one does get data, does tvguide.xml get overwritten? How does the xmltv/webepg check the file?

Users who are viewing this thread