Green variant (2 Viewers)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
It is not so much a "new" logo, it is just a slight variation on the original. To me it is still very recognisable as the MP logo.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    But maybe we should start a new thread on whether-or-not we go ahead with a "variation" or create a new logo. Is there a way to pull out posts from a thread and make a new thread?

ocean55

Portal Member
    May 13, 2006
    Outerspace
    While we are on the topic, I just thought I would point out that Vanessa was working on a similar idea (changing the splash screen+logo etc)

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=9673

(which of course Ronald+Jimmy pointed out above)

Some of the reaction in that thread displays some of the attitudes around changing the logos...

I personally agree that change is good..and that there is nothing wrong with changing a corporate logo as long as it generally fits the same theme...especially in the world of software, where change is inevitable and generally invited.

You may not see this in other products...for example:

I would not in any way be surprised to see Media Portal evolve into 0.3, 0.4, 1.0, 2.0 etc etc

I would however be surprised if CokaCola decided to no longer 'support' Coke and only provide the consumer with Coke v2.1.3, served in a blue can with a new brand logo.

Consider the various incarnations of the MS Office Suite icons and symbols and how they have evolved over time. For that matter, have any of you tried the new Office 2k7? VERY DIFFERENT...in not just appearance but software layout and functionality...However, M$ seem to have no issues with such a drastic change...ummmm....Microsoft Expressions???....what happened to FrontPage??

Anyways, I like EVERYTHING Glenn is doing and since this whole project is open source, I certainly invite change and constant tweaking...isnt that the beauty of open source in the first place?

-=O=-

PS. Glenn, thank you for the reply regarding post #86 in this thread..:)

eloo

Portal Pro
    January 20, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Testing the WAF factor

My girlfriend keeps telling me that MePo looks scary with those eyes. What about using some kind of eyes like those Forgotten Illustrator suggested in the Mascot thread.

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I just have to say regarding the "new" logo: I didn't even notice that it was a changed logo on MePo's chest until ronald-reagan pointed it out. That, in my mind, tells me that the logo Glenn are using is close enough. I'll want to add that the comparision to vanessa's isn't fair; they are way different in size and density.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    My girlfriend keeps telling me that MePo looks scary with those eyes. What about using some kind of eyes like those Forgotten Illustrator suggested in the Mascot thread.

Interesting - I thought the eyes looked more hypnotic.

Interesting to hear - in general - what other wives/girlfriends think.

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    Interesting - I thought the eyes looked more hypnotic.

Interesting to hear - in general - what other wives/girlfriends think.

While on that topic... ;)

My wife was saying she isn't diggin' the horns on top. I know its supposed to depict antennas though.

I do agree that the eyes could have a little more "life" to them. I know MePo is a couch potato! ;)

It would be nice to get the sense that MePo is a friendly little fella.

I do like the darker variations too as a whole new side of MePo though!

fathead

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2005
    I have to say I love mepo in his current form, so would ask that any of the mentioned changes above be shown in test rather than final for now.

grassynoel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 6, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    I would say that given how busy I am (and my current state of happiness with the character) I don't think I'll be changing him soon. I really like him as he is.

Perhaps he is not a skin for everyone's wives and that's fair enough but they can keep using blue two. Hes' not the only choice.

In reality this skin (and MePo) is being made primarily for myself and re-modeling him at this stage is just too much work. There are so many of him when you consider I;m making a black, blue, grey and green version and all I wanted was green :))

I like his eyes and his ears.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread