AEON 2 port? (3 Viewers)

Johnyd

Portal Member
February 11, 2009
Home Country
I think a lot of the eyecandy will be missing since we have no cowerflow or rounded corners on covers etc. Well, hoping for the best anyway :)

Some has posted before that having covers with transparent corners gives the rounded corners. Although it takes some manual work to import the covers in moving pictures.
Ive got a batch action running now that is converting my covers into png's with rounded corners. It only works when all the covers are the same size though so I also have it resizing the images to a single size and ratio. I chose covers that are very close to the ratio to use though.

Then I will have to either rename them all and put them in the folder so that moving pictures can find them or try and rename them all back to jpegs and copy them over the ones in the cover folder.

So its not a simple task and it may not even work.

Im guessing its impossible to specify rotation for the cover next to the one highlighted in filmstrip? I only seem to be able to get the whole strip to rotate or none. Same with fade effects, it seems to be all or none.

Ok 158 covers took less time to batch process the resize and rounding of the corners than it did for me to type this.

Attachments

• rounded covers.jpg
    rounded covers.jpg
    237 KB

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I think a lot of the eyecandy will be missing since we have no cowerflow or rounded corners on covers etc. Well, hoping for the best anyway :)

Some has posted before that having covers with transparent corners gives the rounded corners. Although it takes some manual work to import the covers in moving pictures.
    Ive got a batch action running now that is converting my covers into png's with rounded corners. It only works when all the covers are the same size though so I also have it resizing the images to a single size and ratio. I chose covers that are very close to the ratio to use though.

Then I will have to either rename them all and put them in the folder so that moving pictures can find them or try and rename them all back to jpegs and copy them over the ones in the cover folder.

So its not a simple task and it may not even work.

Im guessing its impossible to specify rotation for the cover next to the one highlighted in filmstrip? I only seem to be able to get the whole strip to rotate or none. Same with fade effects, it seems to be all or none.

Ok 158 covers took less time to batch process the resize and rounding of the corners than it did for me to type this.

That's very cool. I did this in the past (it might have been one of my screens you've seen). I gave up on it though as XFactor has a nice overlay that gives a faux round edge to the posters. It's doesn't look exactly like we want, but close enough I think, and it's much less work. How does the batch thing work, is it an action in Photoshop, or do you have a custom app of some sort?

Emph

Johnyd

Portal Member
    February 11, 2009
    Home Country
    That's very cool. I did this in the past (it might have been one of my screens you've seen). I gave up on it though as XFactor has a nice overlay that gives a faux round edge to the posters. It's doesn't look exactly like we want, but close enough I think, and it's much less work. How does the batch thing work, is it an action in Photoshop, or do you have a custom app of some sort?

Yeah you mentioned it in a different thread recently.

Its an action in Photoshop. But the only way Ive figured out how to do it is to convert all the files to be same size.
    Im using it in combination with ifranview.

I used ifran to rename all the png's that think they are jpgs in the moving pictures folder.
    Then photoshop to resize and cut the corners off
    Then photoshop again to make the thumbnails
    Then ifran to rename the pngs so they think they are jpgs again.

So moving pictures just auto loads the rounded pics because it thinks they are the same as before, beats manually adding each file.

Edit: I attached a picture of my best effort of making it look somewhat like the Aeon one. I couldnt even figure out how to make the text at the bottom all caps. Im running a 1680x1050 screen so thats why the resolution is strange I shrunk it to upload.

Attachments

• attempt.jpg
      attempt.jpg
      243.6 KB

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I attached a picture of my best effort of making it look somewhat like the Aeon one. I couldnt even figure out how to make the text at the bottom all caps. Im running a 1680x1050 screen so thats why the resolution is strange I shrunk it to upload.

To make the text all caps, you'll need a font that only displays caps. I think there are a couple used in StreamedMP and XFactor around...

The thing that really made me abandon the rounded corner .png is that it only works for Moving Pictures, so all other parts of the skin looks different. Let's just hope that someone implements a way of doing this "real time" (a hard coded function) without visible masks.

Emph

Johnyd

Portal Member
    February 11, 2009
    Home Country
    In that screenshot Im using the all caps font from Aeon Stark, yet somehow it still shows lower case.

I havent changed the second page yet, its still the default monochrome one.

Psycho Reptile

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2006
    Cambridge, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have either of you guys tried usind StarkCovers? It can make all sorts of overlays on your images, I haven't tested it properly yet, but it looks promising...

I've reduced the image sizes for the previews, and there are loads of other styles to choose from ;)

Attachments

• folder1 copy.png
      folder1 copy.png
      393.6 KB
    • folder2 copy.png
      folder2 copy.png
      366.1 KB
    • folder3 copy.png
      folder3 copy.png
      366.8 KB
    • folder4 copy.png
      folder4 copy.png
      347 KB

Johnyd

Portal Member
    February 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Id never seen that before, looks like it could of saved me a lot of work. I might try it anyway, as you can see my attempts at lining up the overlay and the cover failed slightly because my rounding was slightly different to the overlays.

Or not, I just downloaded it seems you have to have the covers in folder.jpg format for it to read which I dont.

Users who are viewing this thread