Is it worth reformatting.... (1 Viewer)

leemarkadams

Portal Member
January 2, 2006
Hello there, still playing around with the Media Portal on my old desktop, now is it worth me reformatting my HDD and reinstalling windows etc....so that I have a fresh start?

Thanks in advance

Lee

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I think so... I just reinstalled my HTPC and it's running very smooth! I loaded all the latest drivers, latest software and I am super happy right now. For what ever reason I was getting some studdering on my whole HTPC... it was eaiser for me to reload. It was well worth it in my eyes!

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

a fresh install of windows often helps, because of all those nifty filters. Be sure to install really only needed filters / codecs and no codec pack. Those can screw up your system.

Flip

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    It's only worth formatting if you are not happy with the performance.

For what it's worth, I was getting terrible stuttering and it was driving me crazy. Nothing would fix it.

In the end I tracked it to fragmentation. With NTFS, fragmentation is almost non existant but for some reason DVRMS fragments like crazy.
    My recording drive had 98% file fragmentation.
    After hours of defrag everything is now back to normal. This is also why reformatting gives such good results too.

It's worth everyone using defrag to analyse their hard drive occasionally.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Reformatting is useful for other things than fragmentation. Registry bloat, especially, is a major factor in loss of performance in windows.

But yes, defragmenting often is important for performance. Setting up an auto-fragment at a certain time each day/week or when the drive is above a certain amount of fragmentation and is not currently in use. Just have to make sure defragmenting isn't occuring at the same time as recording, as it is rather system intensive (depending on the program used, etc). A program other than the windows defragmenter is much preferred as the windows defragmenter is worthless in my opinion. Slow, poor scheduling options, etc.

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    re-installing instead of re-formating

Hi all,

I don't know about re-formating by I know about re-installing!!!

I was running an MP installation that didn't work good at all. I was hanging and stuttering, it was out of a/v sync very often, the remote was nearly unuseable, scheduling stopped to work and so on. I did tweak everything over and over again.

I was close to give up - I even tried MCE (forgive me for that) :cry:

My installation was a very old one: started with 0.1.3, CVS over and over again, 0.2 over it, CVSes again.

Then I decided to do a complete new installation - without taking any settings over. And ... it works really good now!! :D

I am on 0.2RC2 CVS from 4thJan. I am really happy now. Even my remote (hauppauge silver) works good now.

Thanks+regards
    WeWe

Users who are viewing this thread