Skin: Razor (1 Viewer)

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    Okay said:
    Do you use the "default" fonts (with pixel errors)?

I don't use the default font but since the bug is within the caching routine of Media Portal most fonts get dirty pixels since the characters are placed too close to each other in the cache file. (for example the letter "i" gets a pixel from the tip of the adjacent letter "j" simply because they are placed too close to each other.) So there are dirty pixels in the font I use as well. The problem can be easily overcome simply by editing the cache file and removing the dirty pixels manually. Most likely this will be done on the font I use before releasing the skin to the community. There is a problem however when using the skin on another resolution which will cause MP to recache the font bringing back the dirty pixels. This will also cause the blur effect on the main menu to stop functioning unfortunately.

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    BoelShit said:
    If demand for 4:3 is high I'm willing to try to port it to that resolution... if the creator wouldn't mind offcourse!

I see now that I failed to respond to your post. Well.. better late than never, right?! :)

It's very nice of you to offer to port the skin to 4:3 but I don't see how this skin could ever be ported to 4:3 especially if it's going to take into consideration lower resolutions and TV overscan. The main idea of the skin is to create a soft and uncluttered atmosphere that is easy on the eyes. To obtain this I have used lots of open spaces and bigger screen elements. If this skin were to be ported to 4:3 you would first have to cut of 25% of the screen in width not counting the space that would be wasted for overscan. You would also have to change the overlay objects since they take up a bigger part of the screen than usual in this skin and the menus would have to been cut in width. Most likely the result would simply be a new skin using the same graphics and I think we can both agree on that that's not the idea of a port.

I hope you understand my position in this matter and thanks again for your kind offer.

BoelShit

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Right :D

Thanks for your explanation and the way you see/build your skin. I totally agree with your point of view and see that a 4:3 port isn't possible to create without altering it to much.

Still think your skin is looking excellent 8) and maybe it's a good excuse for a widescreen in the bedroom too :lol:

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    Just wanted to drop you a note letting you know that I will hold the release of the first beta until the gui of Media Portal is a little bit more stable. There have been some changes to the skinning engine lately and I want to see were these changes are going before releasing anything to the community. The code is still very buggy so therefor I have decided to postpone release until more stability has been achieved.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the update Raven, I'm really looking forward to this widescreen skin, but am happy to wait till you're ready. :lol:

Confusedpenguin

Portal Member
    December 20, 2005
    UK
    Bummer, sorry to hear about that Raven - I was looking forward to this skin a lot!

Hope to see it out in the near future, and I'll be willing to do some testing of it for you, as I'm a constant 16:9 mediaportal user.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Raven,

We really like this skin and hope you continue to progress it.
    When finished it would be great to add this into the project and so available as one of the default skins.

We would be happy to give you CVS write access to maintain it also.

If you need to discuss the recent dimming options - please contact us on IRC.

DMAN

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    dman_lfc said:
    Raven,

We really like this skin and hope you continue to progress it.
    When finished it would be great to add this into the project and so available as one of the default skins.

We would be happy to give you CVS write access to maintain it also.

If you need to discuss the recent dimming options - please contact us on IRC.

DMAN

Hi DMAN,

I'm really delighted you like my skin! I will most definitly continue to improve upon it. It is currently not far from release. There are some modifications need to be done and a few of the more uncommon screens I haven't yet converted. There have been some changes made since the screenshots posted in this thread. There is a new popup among other things.

It would be really great to have it included in the default download package of Media Portal. I will post a beta in this thread once I feel it's ready for public release.

Regards
    Raven

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Excellent news - hopefully soon Raven's 'Razor' skin will be the widescreen default in the MediaPortal package :wink:

Thanks for your time and effort.

DMAN

Users who are viewing this thread