Skin: Razor (3 Viewers)

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Raven! Big respect!! This skin could put MediaPortal right up there as number one not only functionalitywise but also estetically!
It also makes me proud to see that you are from Stockholm. Great to see some minimalistic scandinavian design on my computer screen.
Are you a professional designer?!

I have tried your skin for a couple of days now and have a question: I don't get a video window in the tv-guide. Is this because you have not added it yet or is there a problem with my setup?

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    Teaboy said:
    I'm using the skin in 4:3 (800x600) and it looks fantastic.

Good points:
    • Very nice design with nice fonts and nice colours
    • I love the bigger TV screen on 'My TV'

A few bad points:
    • I've set my MediaPortal to turn on the TV automatically when entering My TV - and when I do so the name of the channel isn't shown in the now playing section on the home page until I switch channel.
    • Some of the fonts are a little bit on the small side and hard to read.
    • On the TV guide the selected item is a white-ish gradient with white text so it's a bit difficult to see.
    • On the TV guide the channels are a bit too thin in height for the font, so the bottom few pixels of the text is cut off.
    • No power button on the main screen! (as far as I can tell)

On the whole though I love the skin! :D

I'm glad you like the skin!
    I haven't been able to reproduct the problem with the channel name not showing. It seems skins behave in many different ways depending on the system it is run on. I will see if I can get closer to finding out the cause of this error.

As you stated you are running the skin in 4:3 on 800x600 resolution. This skin is designed for 16:9 and at least 1280x720 resolution. It is also meant for large screens 30" and upwards. Therefore some fonts will not be optimized for readability on your lower resolution. I'm sorry for that.

The TV-guide is not yet finished and I'm aware of the faults you mentioned.

The buttons on the home screen are not completed yet either and will be fixed.

Also, please note that this skin is added to CVS for testing purposes and is not considered a finished skin. Therefore there are some screens with bad layout and some that need new graphics altogether.

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    dfbb said:
    I got no reactions so far, so I'll ask again: When I enter the MyTV section, it almost hangs (no TV picture, unresponsive). The same problem occurs when I try playing a video file (AVI ie). I do have a slow videocard (ATI 7000 AIW and a PVR 150MCE), but with all the other skins TV and video is playing fine. Any ideas why it's so slow (normal navigation is smooth)?

I don't know what is causing your problem. Since the skin is designed for 1280x720 the graphics are of higher resolution and that might cause a problem with your slow graphics card. Have you tried other 1280x720 skins? That's the only reason I can think of right now.

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    kamrat said:
    Raven! Big respect!! This skin could put MediaPortal right up there as number one not only functionalitywise but also estetically!
    It also makes me proud to see that you are from Stockholm. Great to see some minimalistic scandinavian design on my computer screen.
    Are you a professional designer?!

I have tried your skin for a couple of days now and have a question: I don't get a video window in the tv-guide. Is this because you have not added it yet or is there a problem with my setup?

Thanks for all the nice words. It makes me happy that you appreciate my work. I design interior products for the european market so I guess you could call me a profesional designer. I haven't worked with software before though.

I removed the overlay in the tv-guide last update since it caused a bug in the software. The bug has been fixed and I will update the tvguide in CVS to show overlay in the tv-guide as well. Should be available next CVS release.

nigel_williams

Portal Member
    May 28, 2005
    Just wanted to add my thanks for what is developing into a very nice skin for my 16:9 1280x720 display.

I tried it with Sunday's CVS but found some of the problems already mentioned. Biggest issue for me is the TV screen display where the fonts don't fit the TV schedule and the lack of scroll bars. I also found the programme description was in the wrong place.

Also, since I'm using a Gyration mouse, the lack of ffd/rew buttons on the TV display is a problem.

I'd be pleased to add any feedback as you make updates to the CVS. Keep up the good work.

dfbb

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2005
    Gelderland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Raven said:
    dfbb said:
    I got no reactions so far, so I'll ask again: When I enter the MyTV section, it almost hangs (no TV picture, unresponsive). The same problem occurs when I try playing a video file (AVI ie). I do have a slow videocard (ATI 7000 AIW and a PVR 150MCE), but with all the other skins TV and video is playing fine. Any ideas why it's so slow (normal navigation is smooth)?

I don't know what is causing your problem. Since the skin is designed for 1280x720 the graphics are of higher resolution and that might cause a problem with your slow graphics card. Have you tried other 1280x720 skins? That's the only reason I can think of right now.
    I always use the MCE 1280x720 and BlueTwo 1280x720 skins from Boilermaker and they both work fine.

simonsi

Portal Member
    February 6, 2006
    where?

It looks great Raven, but where can I download it from? (prob stupid question but I'm a newbie)

Since I'm display my ignorance anyway: can not using the 16:9 skin cause my current problem: I'm having with incorrect recording dimension, flashing TV in full screen mode (while working fine in normal app mode) and the tendency to show popup boxes for settings on the right hand side of my screen..........? Or did I screw up somewhere else?

Running RC 0.2 with: Hauppage PVR150MCE + onboard GeForce6150 on AMD 3200+ / 1 GB DRAM system

Thanks all.

simonsi

Portal Member
    February 6, 2006
    it works (kinda)

Wow it works, well it doesn't but at least it looks better.... just 2 bad that I don't have a TV anymore it just doesn't display anything. (it doesn't hang, just does nothing.) TV card is set-up perfectly and recognized and everything, but still ..... nothing......

Luckaly looks are everything but if anyone has a bright idea on how to make it work, please let me know.

Ahh... they wheren't kidding about the back-up part, should learn 2 listen....:-(

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    nigel_williams said:
    Just wanted to add my thanks for what is developing into a very nice skin for my 16:9 1280x720 display.

I tried it with Sunday's CVS but found some of the problems already mentioned. Biggest issue for me is the TV screen display where the fonts don't fit the TV schedule and the lack of scroll bars. I also found the programme description was in the wrong place.

Also, since I'm using a Gyration mouse, the lack of ffd/rew buttons on the TV display is a problem.

I'd be pleased to add any feedback as you make updates to the CVS. Keep up the good work.

The tv-guide is not yet completed and there will be scrollbars in the finished version. As for the playback controls on the OSD I made a decision to remove these to reduce the clutter so unfortunately you're out of luck there.

Users who are viewing this thread