What's the HD-Option for? (1 Viewer)

backslash

Portal Pro
November 23, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
What is the HD option in the installation process for? Does it install a codec?

The options should be better explained in the installation process!

backslash

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    What is the HD option in the installation process for? Does it install a codec?

The options should be better explained in the installation process!
    the installer is designed to be simple. the more text you add the more complexity you add.

by asking the user if he wants to watch HD-TV, the deploytool determins if the user needs the TV-Server or not.
    • Yes -> TV-Server is required
    • No/notsure -> let the user choose if he wants to use the TV-Server or only the TV-Engine which is part of MediaPortal

flokel

Portal Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 11, 2005
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why not directly ask the user if he wants to use the tv server ?

For example:

"Do you want to use the tv server ?"
    (Note: This is not only interesting when using server/client setup.)

and a link referring to the detailed mediaportal/tv server comparison chart in the wiki

In my opinion the tv server offers much more than just the advantage of receiving dvb-s2.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    because this means that the user would have to know what the TV-Server is. :p

and since the term "server" allready confuses the majority of the endusers, we simply ask them what they want to do.
    which then, leads tp the same result, without confusing the average-user with inbuild TVengine and TV-Server. ;)

flokel

Portal Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 11, 2005
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

that's why I suggested to add the link showing the differences and capabilities of each one ;)

and since the term "server" allready confuses the majority of the endusers, we simply ask them what they want to do.
    which then, leads tp the same result, without confusing the average-user with inbuild TVengine and TV-Server. ;)

I understand what mean,
    but in the same time you may end up creating a little more confusion
    by making the people think that the only advantage of the tvserver is viewing hdtv channels
    whereas there are really a lot more ( TV-Engine 0.3/overview - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation)

Terriff

Portal Pro
    March 28, 2008
    I understand what mean,
    by making the people think that the only advantage of the tvserver is viewing hdtv channels
    whereas there are really a lot more ( TV-Engine 0.3/overview - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation)
    I think that if people specifically want to use the TV Server for the reasons other than hdtv, they are already versed enough in the functionality to KNOW that they need it.

Those who don't realize what the TV Server is for simply need to know "am I viewing HD"?

This is why there is an advanced option for installation, for those who know exactly what they need. ;)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I understand what mean,
    why should the question "Do you want to watch HD-Channels" be confusing?????
    its a simply question, isnt it?

and since i do not use the tere "TV-Server" anywhere, the user doesnt get confused.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I understand what mean,
    I think that if people specifically want to use the TV Server for the reasons other than hdtv, they are already versed enough in the functionality to KNOW that they need it.

Those who don't realize what the TV Server is for simply need to know "am I viewing HD"?

This is why there is an advanced option for installation, for those who know exactly what they need. ;)
    correct.

and if a users says "no i do not watch HD channels", then the deploytool describes him in detail which benefits the TV-Server has.

i would suggest that those who say "change that section" better take a very close look at all the directions you can go from that page.....
    and keep in mind that the deploytool is designed for the average user.
    we want it to be simple.

backslash

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

You are absolutely right.

In my opinion the best thing would be to abandon the old tv engine because it was never a joy to use. Less options means lesser confusion. Simple like that.

backslash

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Backlash: There are still some that find "TVE2" to be the best choice. In particular people using analogue cards use TVE2 due to better PQ. I don't think we should ditch all those just because the reasons you give above.

Not everybody can get DTV in MP for different reasons.

Getting better PQ for analogue in TV server is WIP - hopefully MisterD will succeed; It has been stated that "TVE2" dies with this version of MP (read old news) - hopefully analogue users (like me) don't have to stop using MP. (I'd use it even with quality loss, but that does not go for many others, I believe).

Users who are viewing this thread