ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Campatibility (1 Viewer)

xXVirusXx

January 11, 2010
Does the ATI TV Wonder HD 650(PCI-Express 1x) work as a tuner with Media Portal? It's not on the supported devices list but I was just wondering if it would still work with Media Portal. Thanks.

famewolf

Portal Pro
June 7, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Doesn't work which is why it's not on the list. I have 2 tuners, one of which is the 650 pci express..the other is a ati 600 wonder....only the 600 is recognized as a tuner in mediaportal. Beyondtv uses both with no problem.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    There's a list? I'm using the 650 combo USB version just fine.

UPDATE: Do you mean THIS list? If you read at the top it says any ATSC card using BDA drivers. I've been using the ATi HDTV-Wonder as my 2nd, 650 USB combo as my 3rd and the Hauppauge 1600 as my primary ATSC tuner which is the host for my 45-key remote control as well!

famewolf

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2009
    Home Country
    There's a list? I'm using the 650 combo USB version just fine.

UPDATE: Do you mean THIS list? If you read at the top it says any ATSC card using BDA drivers. I've been using the ATi HDTV-Wonder as my 2nd, 650 USB combo as my 3rd and the Hauppauge 1600 as my primary ATSC tuner which is the host for my 45-key remote control as well!

More than likely the fact both the author and I were referring to the PCI-EXPRESS version of the card has alot to do with why it's not recognized.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    YES, Yes, yes.... I get that you are addressing the PCI-e version but still, my ATi HDTV-Wonder is PCI and works... the list states: any DVB/ATSC card which has BDA drivers so maybe there's an issue with having loaded the right ATi driver? Does the 650's BDA show up in your Sound, video and game controllers section of Device Manager?

Oh -- as we're in transition between versions of MediaPortal, some of us are building new systems and with it using Win7. While I have stated the 650 USB works with MP, I was speaking of my current "production" system which is WinXP/SP3-Home. As I looked to AMD for Win7 drivers I see they don't exist! They even go so far as to say Drivers for the ATI TV Wonder™ HD 600/650 series and All in Wonder™ HD series are expected to be available in the first quarter of 2010 in THIS article. Seems I'll be waiting or using my 650 USB on an old XP machine!

famewolf

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Although the lists says "any DVB/ATSC card which has BDA drivers" reality shows that when I run mediaportal 1.0.2 on Vista Home the 650 pci express isn't recognized at all although my ATI 600 PCI is...The op wanted to know if it "worked"...it doesn't out of the box...if he wants to play with it to see if he can get it to work more power to him...if you search on the forum you find many others that had problems with the same card such as https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/still-no-ati-650-a-67688/?highlight=ati+650

I use beyondtv for the tv recording and it has no problem with the two tuners with their present drivers and I don't plan to monkey with MY drivers when everything is working fine otherwise. Yes Both tuners show up in devices. The fact your usb version worked for you was why I said it probably has something to do with the pci express. If the op has the tuner already he can play with it but if he hasn't purchased it yet then it seems to me he'd be better off buying one that did work out of the box.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Diamond TVW 650 Combo USB, Win7 & MP 1.1.0 RC1

OK... I'll give you that the OP was interested to BUY or NOT to buy the 650 PCIe tuner. I too wonder when I see the 650 PCIe on sale whether it'd be a wise purchase but given the AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet PCTV tuner (A188) has TWO ATSC tuners I'd lean towards it for an internal tuner. Externally I like the installation of the HDHomeRun but the cheapest was the 650 Combo USB I bought on-sale (in January at Fry's) for $29.99 and speaking of that I have progressed with my MP 1.1.0 RC1 installation on Win7 Premium. I connected the tuner to a USB port and powered up the system. Win7 automatically identified a new device (ATi Black Mamba), downloaded drivers from the internet and installed them. Pretty easy, eh?!? I looked in Device Manager and saw the ATi AVStream xyz (not on the system, will update later) which when I opened MP 1.1.0 RC1's TV Server it now had (in addition to the 'default" IPxx and WebRadio devices) both an analog and a BDA digital tuner! The rest is the same - scanned for channels, found them, added to TV Channels tab, closed TV Server and they tune just fine from MyTV.

I was also able to open Win7 MCE and go through it identifying the tuner, scanning for channels and using my ZIP code to download a TV guide. Had to REBOOT the system to alleviate the error message when I tried to actually tune a TV channel - the MCE TV Service has to get installed, or something before it can actually use the tuner the first time!

Anyway, I'm hoping to shed some light on this 650 tuner and how sweet I found Win7 to be -- no wonder (no pun intended) ATi has no drivers for Win7 when they get downloaded automatically and without (really) any thought!

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    I have an ATI 650 PCI Express which I've used with BeyondTV without any problems. I'm a new migrant to MediaPortal, and at first I had no trouble with MediaPortal recognizing both the ATSC and Analog tuners. I was able to successfully configure each individually, and I can use each tuner individually, but I can't seem to use the ATSC tuner while the Analog tuner is being used. The log complains about a PMT timeout (which I've tried increasing).

Has anyone experienced issues using both tuners at the same time on the PCI Express version?

It is not the PCI Hybrid version, and I haven't configured it as a hybrid card.

Zorba

Portal Member
    December 13, 2009
    Home Country
    I am running a pair of 650s PCI-e's in my computer at home, never had any problem with them. I got them after both happauge cards I tried would not properly tune PBS. I do only use the ASTC tuner, so I am not sure about the analog and FM tuners.

Users who are viewing this thread