Gyration MCE Remote Supported (1 Viewer)

hobbes487

Portal Pro
August 25, 2005
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Has anyone had success using the gyration MCE remote with MP? I just got a really good deal on one and would love to use it with my HTPC.

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello hobbes487,

I am currently working on this (I use Windows Server 2003 and have to get rid of some basic driver issues first). I will get back later this day.

-level20peon

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry to make you wait. Porting Windows XP drivers to Windows 2003 is quite a pain.

I am now using the Gyration Remote inside MediaPortal. It should work out-of-the-box in your XP SP2 environment. All you have to do is activating the "Use general HID device" in the remote control section of the MediaPortal configuration. I also tested the "Use MCE remote" but this didn't work in my case.

Multimediahotkeys as well as Cursor keys work. I had no chance to test the rest but will continue evaluating the functionality of the RC.

Note: I never used a "real" remote inside MediaPortal until now so I have no urgent need of the other functions. It would be nice if you could have a look at this when you have time. Until this post I spent about 20 hours of work to handle and to perfect the driver issue so don't take it amiss when I take a break from the "work" for now.

-level20peon

EDIT: It would be nice if you could report on how the numeric pad works in your case since I modified something and don't know whether it works out-of-the-box or not. If you have any idea how to get the buttons which are currently not working to work please let me know. Also please let me know if they also don't work in your case or if my system is bugging me on this.

Current testing results: (working) (not working)
    I tested by mapping every single action in "General HID Device" to see whether a button triggered the mapped event or not

Power button -> Hibernates the PC
    Transport control - (Play, Pause, Stop, Record, FF, RW, Next, Previous)
    Menu navigation - (up, down, left, right, OK, BACK) (LIVE TV, GUIDE, MORE)
    Gyro Button cluster - works as supposed...
    Volume and channel control - (Volume up, Volume down, Mute, Channel up, Channel down) (MCE Green Button)
    Media Center shortcuts - (My TV, My Pictures, My Music, My Videos)
    Alphanumeric keypad - (0-9, *, #, Clear, Enter)
    Setup and device control - (Setup, Last, Input, DVD Menu)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    solved

I have now sucessfully mapped the Gyration GYR3101US remote. Here is what I did:

This is an overview of the Remote:
    GYR3101US2.gif

I first had to struggle with the yellow marked buttons because I am using Windows server 2003 (They work out-of-the-box in Windows XP Pro and MCE). So I ported some XP MCE drivers over to 2003. This was a pain in the a*** (took me quite some time). Afterwards the "yellow" buttons worked. It took another two days of frustration without any progress in mapping the "red" buttons. I finally solved the whole problem at a blow. I am now able to remap the "red" buttons as well as the "yellow" buttons without even having to bother about the drivers.

The nice thing which allows me to do so is called "EventGhost". Follow these steps to make your remote work (download and install EventGhost first ;)):

eg2.gif

eg3.gif

Choose the first entry of "Gyration RF Technology Receiver", add it, add another HID Plugin and choose the last of these entries this time (You might as well add all seven entries, doesn't really matter)
    eg4.gif

eg5.gif

eg6.gif

Now add as many shortcuts you like (one after another). Afterwards press the button on your remote you want to map and draw it from the eventlog on the left into the macro with the respective shortcut on the right side.
    eg7.gif

The mapping may look like this when you are finished.
    Notes: I added more than you need if you are running Windows XP. I also mapped the "My Pictures" button with the "home screen" because I don't use this plugin at all (in case you ask yourself ;)).
    eg8.gif

Note: To use shortcuts to the functions "My pictures", "My TV", "My Music" and "My Videos" at all you have to use the MyKeys Plugin.

I hope this helps... (PS: Activate the "General HID" option in MediaPortal configuration -> Remote)

-level20peon

drowhunter

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Could you provide your xml configuration for your setup?

Also does this program evenghost override the default keys.

eg. Green Button usually starts media center

Number keys seem to be actual keyboard number keys., (can these be re-mapped)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could you provide your xml configuration for your setup?

I don't think this will help because the internal hardware ID of the HID-device most likely will differ in our systems. I will attach it anyways.

Also does this program evenghost override the default keys.

eg. Green Button usually starts media center

I didn't test this, since all buttons I (re-)mapped were not mapped at all in my OS (Windows 2003). But I guess that this is not possible out-of-the-box because EventGhost events are just triggered by events which in fact HAPPEN anyways in the system. But maybe there is a function in EventGhost scripting which allows to suppress the original key. I use another program for overriding keys (AutoHotKey), with which I remapped the StandBy button for example (This wont work with the GreenButton at all I think).

Number keys seem to be actual keyboard number keys., (can these be re-mapped)

These keys don't trigger an event in EventGhost at all so you cannot use them inside this application.

-level20peon

Attachments

• remote.xml
      30.6 KB

hobbes487

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks Level20peon!

I am going to try this out when I get home.

One other thing I am interested in doing is being able to bring the PC out of standby with the power button. when using RF it doesn't work. My work around is the following: I have the IR receiver from the original MCE remote so I mapped the power button from that remote to the aux IR power button of the gyration remote. This works but is annoying that I have to switch to aux to turn the PC on and then back to PC to control it. DO you have another solution?

testimies

Portal Pro
    October 12, 2007
    Espoo
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Eventghost doesn't trigger..

I have the same gyration and I use it with eventghost & MP. Play, record, up, down, left,right, pause... and number buttons works correctly without help of eventghost. More and tv guide works with eventghost. Problem is that my tv, my video, my music, my pictures and live tv doesn't work and they don't even trigger eventghost events. Buttons works correctly with MCE so drivers & hw should be ok.

Is windows cathing these buttons before they arrive to eventghost? Do anyone know solution to this problem? I'm using windows vista ultimate.

:D in advance..

Users who are viewing this thread