Meedio sells out to Yahoo (1 Viewer)

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
As sad as it may be for their customers, I think some interesting things will come out of this, due to the vast amount of resources that Yahoo! has, not only financially, but also with respect to content. Meedio now has legal access to Launch, all of Yahoo's financial and news content, access to Yahoo Mail, Calendar, Tasks, TV guide etc.

Sam

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Smirnuff said:
    Totally agree with Sam's comments, and oooh all that content is very cool. Google and MP now that would be nice to see IMO.

Get coding dude! ;)

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Seems that Sceneo a german/dutch/spanish htpc soft that relies on the meedio core, will only be able to do so for a limited time.

They announced today that they knew about the deal since last fall and have an ongoing development in order to program the basic functionalities all by themselves. Not sure, what it means for the future of Sceneo. It seems, they will split the product and have TV, EPG and VCR all as seperat products. Time frame is dense: Alpha test beginning April 25th, Product release candidat due on June 9th :)

here you can read the (german) information of Buhl Data, the company behind Sceneo:

http://www.sceneo.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14759

tomtom

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    and to get back on topic.

As first reaction I would be mad as hell.
    It was a really community driven project. Lots of devs and skinners all doing it in their free time.
    And what will happen now?
    What will their invested time mean now?
    Will their "hobby" die?

But, these r all first reactions.
    Maybe there will come some good out of it, we just don't know.

Just keep on enjoying MP!

bradsjm

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2005
    New York City, USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    MrMario64 said:
    What will their invested time mean now?
    Will their "hobby" die?
    But, these r all first reactions.
    Maybe there will come some good out of it, we just don't know.
    There are some very talented people in the Meedio community who wrote plugins and skins. Maybe they will look at MP as the next platform to work on or they may just wait and see what Yahoo does although I suspect many (like me) having been "burned" by Meedio wouldn't trust Yahoo either to be community focussed making MP a more attractive place for me to move to and develop on.

Users who are viewing this thread