Storage (5 Viewers)

Discussions about HDD, SSD, DVD, BluRay, etc., go in here
MP1 MP2 Recommended HDD! DE
Hi, here are my thoughts. Brand does not matter as match when you run Raid or some equivelent but certain things will always be important. Most manufactures are now going with a 3 year replacement warranty. I use to use Seagate simply because they had a 5 year warranty. It would be interesting to see how this has effected their...
Hi, here are my thoughts. Brand does not matter as match when you run Raid or some equivelent but certain things will always be...
Hi guys, I just bought Samsung F3 drives and I'm really pleased how cool and quiet they are.
Replies
Views
You should not have a problem if on Win7\Vista, cool'n'quiet should be disabled in BIOS, as the OS looks after things, also the optimiser is now part of the amd cpu driver, so again not necessary. Good luck in finding what the bottleneck is that's screwing playback, but definitely try without any plugins enabled first.
You should not have a problem if on Win7\Vista, cool'n'quiet should be disabled in BIOS, as the OS looks after things, also the...
I've been running my system from a WD GP RE2 drive as it's quiet, runs cool and my system is passively cooled. I've had to send...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 RAM drives DE
TV-Server/UserGuides/Ramdisk - MediaPortal Manual Documentation
TV-Server/UserGuides/Ramdisk - MediaPortal Manual Documentation
Hiyas! Im looking to set up a RAM drive and i dont know what i need This would be for timeshifting TV in MP Any help...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Raid storage case DE
Sounds like a good plan, and one I have been looking at too. These people seem to do everything SATA that you could want: 3.5 SATA Aluminum External Hard Drive Enclosure for MAC and PC But for some serious expandable storage, have a look at this: Storage Rack Overview from Addonics It would need some work to make it silent...
Sounds like a good plan, and one I have been looking at too. These people seem to do everything SATA that you could want: 3.5...
Ok I want to make my own raid storage case and need a case to start with The odds are I will end up using a htpc case and gutting...
Replies
Views
I've got a tv and file server that I bought a new disk for today. I've been thinking of trying raid for the first time to make sure that my photos, docs and old mp3 collection are safe in case of a hdd failure. Current disks are: 2x1tb wd green, 1x2tb wd green and 1x3tb wd red. I have ~200gb (and growing) of data that I don't want...
I've got a tv and file server that I bought a new disk for today. I've been thinking of trying raid for the first time to make sure...
I've got a tv and file server that I bought a new disk for today. I've been thinking of trying raid for the first time to make sure...
Replies
Views
Good point - it had not even occured to me to run Windows on a server, but yes, you could also do that. Again, it all depends what else you wanted to do with the server. For example, if you wanted to run a home CCTV service and a PBX, then I would personally chose Linux, but Windows is more user friendly if you don't already know...
Good point - it had not even occured to me to run Windows on a server, but yes, you could also do that. Again, it all depends what...
Can anyone tell me about pros and cons of using a NAS box as opposed to a server in terms of security? If I ran a linux server on...
Replies
Views
Ok. done... I'm not sure there's nothing changed... but anyway, good point! :) Thanks a lot.
Ok. done... I'm not sure there's nothing changed... but anyway, good point! :) Thanks a lot.
Hi all, Quick question regarding my new SSD HD. I've just cloned my old mechanical HD to this SSD HD, containing just one...
Replies
Views
Glad you got it sorted.
Glad you got it sorted.
Hi, Had my HTPC up and running for a few months and it worked brilliantly for its main purpose which was watching DVD 'Srunk'...
Replies
Views
elsmandino, Did you get any recommendations for an SSD? I'm looking to use one purely for timeshifting, and not sure which to go for. Cheers, M
elsmandino, Did you get any recommendations for an SSD? I'm looking to use one purely for timeshifting, and not sure which to go...
Hi there, I am currently building a dedicated server to host media portal. I plan on putting in a WD AV-GP HDD (1.5TB) to do...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
1Gbit/sec == 125MByte/sec. But the useful throughput will be less, because of the "house-keeping" that has to be done to manage the flow of data along the cable. Also, I don't know whether networking follows the disk convention (1G == 1000*1000*1000), or the RAM convention (1G == 1024*1024*1024). -- from CyberSimian in the UK
1Gbit/sec == 125MByte/sec. But the useful throughput will be less, because of the "house-keeping" that has to be done to manage...
Hello, i must buy 5 Disk for my NAS. This one is an Synology DS1512+, buy 2years ago, but never Powered ON. My first Model was...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 OpenMediaVault DE
Well OMV is front-end to Debian (Squeeze), so it has the same features as a normal Debian installation. However far from everything is managable from the web gui.
Well OMV is front-end to Debian (Squeeze), so it has the same features as a normal Debian installation. However far from everything...
A replacement for FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault is based on Debian. Check it out; OpenMediaVault - Home
Replies
Views
You're right it's a lot of space, and it's more than I ever actually use. This is a dedicated HTPC with an SSD for the OS, MePo and plugins, and a few utilities, so it starts up, and resumes from S3 standby as quickly as possible. It also has a mechanical HDD for recordings and media files because I can't afford a 2GB SSD. This left...
You're right it's a lot of space, and it's more than I ever actually use. This is a dedicated HTPC with an SSD for the OS, MePo and...
Hello, currently I use a RAM Drive for TV Cache. Now I have an "old" SSD for which I have no use anylonger (and on eBay it does...
Replies
Views
Hi there, These are the spinpoint F2 drives? I doubt you will be able to buy just the PCB's - I tried to do this in the past for other drives. :( Obvious places to try and buy are eBuyer, CCL, aria, etc. Exactly which component is it? you can normally buy a replacement resistor/inductor for less than 1 pound. You could...
Hi there, These are the spinpoint F2 drives? I doubt you will be able to buy just the PCB's - I tried to do this in the past...
Hi guys, A little help required if you can. Long story cut short. I own 2 x 1TB HD103SI Samsung drives, that held. I...
Replies
Views
I have just bought a samsung 840 120 GB and i am also setting up regular backup routines so its alll automated and i wont forget or never get around to it!
I have just bought a samsung 840 120 GB and i am also setting up regular backup routines so its alll automated and i wont forget or...
great, turned over to my htpc yesterday to find the machine sat at a `choose proper boot device` screen. Red light on the back of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I stand corrected - I tried to record three progammes last night and watch a fourth recorded one, but for some reason the laptop hard drive could not handle it - I got lots of jumps in the recorded files. I tried recording to my F4 for the first time and it worked flawlessly - even better than the AV-GP drive that I was using...
Hi, I stand corrected - I tried to record three progammes last night and watch a fourth recorded one, but for some reason the...
HI there, Speedfan has just told me that there is a problem with Hard Drive and is on its way out (this is the drive that I use...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 New 4tb Hard disk DE
I need some help with this upgrade. I'mlooking to buy this Hard disk: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/348717/wd-green-wd40ezrx-4tb.html Will it work on my : System Type:confused:ingleseat without TV-Server Windows Version:7 (32 bit) CPU:Intel E5200 Mainboard:MSI P7 NGM Digital RAM:4 GB HDD:Western Digital: 1TB+2TB+2TB GFX-Card:ASUS...
I need some help with this upgrade. I'mlooking to buy this Hard disk...
I need some help with this upgrade. I'mlooking to buy this Hard disk...
Replies
Views
Thanks @azzuro but that is exactly how I shared the drive, and as you can see in the article, Windows sees it as a 'network folder' and not an 'optical drive' when you access the share.
Thanks @azzuro but that is exactly how I shared the drive, and as you can see in the article, Windows sees it as a 'network folder'...
Hey everyone, I'm currently running a Gigabyte Brix as my HTPC with MP happily, and the only thing it's missing is a bluray player...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the reply jasonb. i'll get the 200Gb version in a week or two then add an external usb drive to it.
Thanks for the reply jasonb. i'll get the 200Gb version in a week or two then add an external usb drive to it.
I'm thinking of getting a network based hard drive to store my media files on so i dont have to keep my other pc switched on all...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have had a couple of bad experiences with my Thecus N5500 NAS (10TB on Raid 5) over the last year and before I either spend more money on it or replace it I am looking for a bit of advice. A year ago I had a drive fail and thought, no problems will just put in the spare and all will be fine. Except a second drive failed...
Hi, I have had a couple of bad experiences with my Thecus N5500 NAS (10TB on Raid 5) over the last year and before I either spend...
Hi, I have had a couple of bad experiences with my Thecus N5500 NAS (10TB on Raid 5) over the last year and before I either spend...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 My Storage Solution (1 Viewer) DE
Awesome! Make a video! I'd love to see your Norco in action. I've made one for my RPC-4220 (20 SATA drives) file server. Vid is here: 20TB Fileserver (YouTube)
Awesome! Make a video! I'd love to see your Norco in action. I've made one for my RPC-4220 (20 SATA drives) file server. Vid is...
I've been running mediaportal roughly for a year and i love it!! Currently my HTPC/Workstation: AMD Phenom x4 Quad Core (2.6ghz)...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Mp + nas = ? DE
Which one to recommend depends on what you are after. If you primary aim is just file storage (and presumably 20-40+ TBs of it) then going for a linux based custom NAS that you build like FreeNAS or UnRaid will work out much more economical than buying a ready made NAS that can handle that amount of storage. Both UnRaid and FreeNAS...
Which one to recommend depends on what you are after. If you primary aim is just file storage (and presumably 20-40+ TBs of it)...
So I'm looking to see what options I should be looking for in a NAS, and more specifically a make and model. So the basic thing...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 MFT loss - again DE
Nice one :D
Nice one :D
Hi, For the second time in as many months I have had the MFT on my 'Films' HDD become corrupt. I haven't lost anything as I keep...
Replies
Views
i personally have a simple setup with a single sata2 hdd ..no SSD's involved at all i dont see any real problems as i only have the 1 tv tuner and everything else streams from either the internet or from my 10/100 networked pc in the other room perhaps a pc with lots of tuners or when streaming tv channels to other pcs in your...
i personally have a simple setup with a single sata2 hdd ..no SSD's involved at all i dont see any real problems as i only have...
Hi all, I am very keen to get started using MediaPortal TV-Server on my Windows Home Server. I know it's not officially supported...
Replies
Views
Let me say this first, I'm not done playing with it lol I had set it up, setup my samba shares, ftp etc. I setup ftp to transfer all my existing media to it. (Copying within Windows is horrible) I let it go all night. Next morning I went to a mapped share I had done and it told me it didn't exist? So I logged into the nas machine...
Let me say this first, I'm not done playing with it lol I had set it up, setup my samba shares, ftp etc. I setup ftp to transfer...
Hello, I've tried searching here and at AVSforums for some answers, but can't find anything definitive. I'm in the midst of...
Replies
Views
Windows (exp. Windows Home Server) and FlexRAID... or Linux with FlexRAID ...I prefer Windows since I make my 24/7 machine do soooo many additional things (torrents, streaming from TV or from my MP3/video collection etc.) the things that made me run away from unRAID don't necessarily mean they should drive away other people too you...
Windows (exp. Windows Home Server) and FlexRAID... or Linux with FlexRAID ...I prefer Windows since I make my 24/7 machine do soooo...
hi guys, i currently own a big HTPC case (silverstone grandia) running 5 HDD, 1TB each. as my 5TB are reaching their limits i...
Replies
Views
Yeah, I am having no problem with this. If hdds sleep and are beeing accessed for a media playing, the wait time is ok for me. What bugs me is the delay on MP-startup. Yes, will do that! Mine two are parallel too, but I see huge hdd access after resume. But maybe you are right and its doing something else. Will investigate further...
Yeah, I am having no problem with this. If hdds sleep and are beeing accessed for a media playing, the wait time is ok for me. What...
As the title says, I am looking for a good NAS in the 8TB usable space range. I'd love to use 3TB WD Red HDDS, in a 4 disk NAS that...
Replies
Views
I use 3 x 2tb drives, 1st has a 40gb partition for OS\MP, 2nd partition for recordings\timeshift, I do not think it matters which drive you use. Media just fills up the other 2, so they can sleep.
I use 3 x 2tb drives, 1st has a 40gb partition for OS\MP, 2nd partition for recordings\timeshift, I do not think it matters which...
I have just been sent a new 2TB Hard Drive (WesternDigital WD20EARS-00MVWB0) which is the newest version with three platters rather...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Interesting DIY nas DE
Not a bad idea at all, really like the design, wouldn't mind buying something like that with a couple of changes. - Like you've mentioned I'd want it to be easier to swap out the drives. - Better cooling for the HDDs, perhaps by adding fans across the top of the case.
Not a bad idea at all, really like the design, wouldn't mind buying something like that with a couple of changes. - Like you've...
Hi folks, have a look at this guys' solution.... Watch: Black Dwarf Video Worklog Pt.1 Watch: Black Dwarf Video Worklog Pt.2...
Replies
Views
No, no problems with the firmware upgrade, although I'm not sure I would have noticed. I found out about it from here. Haven't seen any issues with the upgrade there either.
No, no problems with the firmware upgrade, although I'm not sure I would have noticed. I found out about it from here. Haven't seen...
Hi guys, I'm planning to move my data from an old pc that I installed linux on to a second drive in my HTPC. For this, I bought...
Replies
Views
I have messed around with this for awhile and am finishing my final setup now. I dont trust raid5 its just me, I wont trust my movies to raid at all unless there is a complete backup somewhere else which is what I am doing. The Clown used windows raid5 but you cannot expand a raid 5 array in windows you have to rebuild it over again...
I have messed around with this for awhile and am finishing my final setup now. I dont trust raid5 its just me, I wont trust my...
Hi all. I've been racking my brains on my little problem now for ages. Basically I am a Media Portal fanatic. The only time I...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom